Penny143

Default Grt Grt Grandfather Emigrated to South Africa

Hello, I am trying to find when my Great Great Grandfather, William Dixon (born 29th August 1843 and lived with his family of three sons in Barnard Castle ) emigrated to Cape Town . He is registered in the 1871 Census at Barnard Castle, and we have an entry in the family Bible that he died in Cape Town 16th October 1883. We are not sure why he left the family - one story that has travelled through the family is that he was actually a homosexual and that it was more accepted in South Africa than in England. Where could I find passenger details for dates between 1871 and 1883 ? And are there records kept in Cape Town that we can access somehow ? Thank you for any information that might help ....

Schatzi

I can't help you with the passenger details I am afraid but the South African Archives Databases are searchable online and can be a treasure trove of leads for information.

Go to www.national.archives.gov.za/naairs.htm and search the database KAB for Dixon for the years 1871 to 1883. Perhaps you may find something interesting.

Penny143

Thank you for this - a very useful link, that I shall spend more time hunting through. Very grateful.