Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Drapers

Valued member of Brit-Gen

Default Drapers

looking for information on Edward Hodges listed as draper in 1869 on sons baptismal records.

in the 1871 census was then listed as traveller.

Wilkes_ml

Where did the baptism take place and what was the name of the son? Where was Edward living in the 1871 Census? If we have more information, it helps us trace people easier through the records most of the time!

Doreen,
    A warm welcome to Brit-gen. If you have found Edward on the '71 Census, can you quote the reference number pl? The use of the reference number irons out problems that occur where different sites have transcribed/captured the details differently.

Edward Hodges Draper.
    Cannot find him listed on 1841, 1851, 1861, 1871, 1881, 1891 census. However:
    listed as father of Edward Harris Hodges born 6 May 1869 Epping, Essex. bapt 18 Jul 1869 St Marks Middlesex.
    mother Sarah Georgina Hodges (nee Hodges). residence listed as 32 Wilmington Square, London.
    curious in 1871 census Sarah listed as Travellers wife. (Cannot find a marriage). in 1881 census listed living with son Edward Harris Hodges and brother William Thomas Hodges and aunt Mary Ann Blackmore at 12 Wendell St London

at the same date 18 Jul 1869 St Marks Middlesex was the bapt of Lillie Selina Grant (parents Elizabeth & Thomas Grant) both residing at 32 Wilmington Square London. Thomas also listed as a Draper. Elizabeth is the aunt of Sarah Georgina Hodges.

You have Edward Harris Hodges's father's name from baptismal records. Have you obtained the birth certificate of Edward Harris Hodges, Jun 1869, Epping, 4a 91 to confirm the baptismal information?

Have found Sarah G and Edward Jnr on the 1871 and 1881 Census.

Wilkes_ml

I would expect that Edward Harris Hodges Junior was probably illegitimate and the mother Sarah Georgina Hodges had a dalliance with someone named Harris and Edward was the product. I would not be surprised to find no father mentioned on the birth certificate.

have you traced Sarah Georgina's family back through the census? are there any Harris members staying with the family, or neighbours who may be likely candidates?

Wilkes_ml

In 1881 they are at Hammersmith London RG11; Piece: 62; Folio: 7; Page: 7 and indeed Sarah Georgina is Unmarried.

edited to say that Sarah and her son Edward are living with her unmarried brother William J. Hodges and unmarried aunt Mary. A. Blackmore.

Sarah Georgina interestingly is supporting herself on interest from money! So maybe she was left some money by a wealthy family member.

Wilkes_ml

Interestingly, I found Sarah and Edward in 1871 at Hackney London at 8 Churchill road RG10; Piece: 326; Folio: 31; Page: 55 (, sharing a house with another couple, and a single widowed lady (it was common then to share houses, I'm not sure if houses were converted to flats like they are now)

Sarah claiming to be married to a traveller! She is aged 21 and claims to have been born Aldgate, Middlsex ( as opposed to hackney in 1881 census). Edward is aged 2 and born Epping.

edited to add that she is indexed under HEDGES in 1871, which is why it took me a while to find her lol

yes I have the birth certificate.
    I also have found Sarah G and her son Edward on the 1871 and 1881 census. But cannot find them or verify them on the 1891 census. Edward Jnr left England in 1901 for Australia.

hi, yes that it what I have been thinking over the years. But havent been able to find the wealthy family member.
    Her grandfather Thomas Blackmore left his money to his daughter Elizabeth Grant.
    Havent been able to find her grandfather Thomas Hodges after he remarried Sarah (maiden name unknown) bet 1836-1846. Thomas Hodges married Catherine Baugh in 1824. Son William is Sarah G father. Catherine died 1835.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast