Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
    Valued member of Brit-Gen

Post innkeeper Thomas Hodges

looking for further information on Thomas Hodges, innkeeper at Royal Standard Inn, 102 Back St Hereford in the 1851 census.

Super Moderator

Default Thomas Hodges

Can you give the approx. date and place of birth? There are too many Thomas Hodges in Hereford on the 1851 to find the one you are looking for.

Thomas Hodges born 1793 Hereford/St. Bolstoph Aldegate London (different place of birth on childrens birth records).
    1st marriage Catherine Baugh 1824 Parish of Swindon, Gloucestershire. children : William born 1827, George born 1832
    1841 census listed as innkeeper, 1 Hereford Place, Cheltenham
    1847 Williams marriage listed as publican
    1851 census listed as innkeeper at Royal Standard Inn, 103 Back Street Hereford with 2nd wife Sarah and children Frederick and Sarah
    1861 census ? cannot locate him at the moment

hi again,
    the info re Royal Standard Inn and 103 Back Street was given to me by Gloucestershire family history society. I was not given the reference numbers. These numbers I dont include in my records, but now I think I will go back to all my research and include all of them in all family members I am researching. This is about 4000 persons. As previously mentioned, on sons William Hodges marriage cert, it states his father Thomas Hodges was a publican in 1847. Son resided in Whitechapel.

janbooth

For anyone who is trying to find Thomas, he is actually still in Cheltenham in the 1851 census living at Back Street at the Royal Standard Inn, NOT in Hereford, and shown as aged 51, born All Saints, Hereford.

From Gloucestershire Burial Index:

8 July 1835 at St Mary's New Burial Ground Catherine HODGES of Cheltenham, aged 37

From Gloucestershire FHS Marriage Index 1800-37:

2 March 1824 at Swindon, Gloucestershire Thomas HODGES & Catherine BAUGH of Cheltenham, by banns

From Gloucestershire FHS Baptismal Index 1813-37:

25 December 1826 at Cheltenham St Mary William HODGES, son of Thomas & Catherine, Carpenter, Cheltenham
    22 November 1829 at Cheltenham St Mary Thomas HODGES son of Thomas & Catherine, Carpenter, Cheltenham

So it looks as if Thomas may have been a Carpenter before he turned Innkeeper.

Will keep looking.

Janet

janbooth

It looks as if Thomas may have died between 1851 and 1861 as Sarah HODGES is in the 1861 census of Cheltenham (RG9/1799, folio 72, page 35) listed as a widowed Matron at the Normal Training College. She appears to be there in the 1871 census as well.

There is a death registration for a Thomas HODGES in the December qtr 1858 at Cheltenham reg district which could well be your Thomas and one for a Sara HODGES in the September qtr 1876 at Cheltenham reg district, aged 71 which sounds a likely candidate for your Sarah.

There are certainly HODGES families having children in Hereford All Saints at around the time your Thomas was born, so perhaps your next step is to investigate the parish registers to see if you can find his baptism either there or in his mother's home parish if that is not All Saints. Do you have the marriage certificate for his second marriage and if so what is his father's name and profession? I have the Herefordshire Marriage Index, so should be able to look for a marriage for his father and probably Sarah's father too, given that her birthplace is shown as Sellack.

Janet

Cheltenham Chronicle Tue 13 Jan 1853
    DEATHS - At the Royal Standard, Swindon Road, aged 6 years, Sarah, daughter of Mr Thomas Hodges

Cheltenham Looker-On, 17 June 1854
    SALES BY AUCTION - On Thursday 22 June Freehold Messuage and Premises known as the "Royal Standard" near the Training College
    (St Paul's Training College was on Swindon Road)

Cheltenham Chronicle Tue 2 Nov 1858
    Deaths - Oct 25, at the Union Workhouse, aged 63 years, Mr Thomas Hodges, licensed victualler

Name well known on Brit-Gen

These numbers I dont include in my records, but now I think I will go back to all my research
    In my books Good Housekeeping and record taking!

Always state / collect your source of information reference, it is a form of verification and should you need to revisit that ancestor in years to come and when the memory is well er failing, you can go to the source instantly. You will note when replies ar given that iunvolve Birth / Marriages / death the year / Registration district /volume no / page no will always be quoted.

hi your have been very very helpful.
    Yes please for parents of Thomas and Sarah. with so many Hodges, yes I have been having a few problems.
    I have been trying to find Wiliam (Thomas son by first marriage) his death. he was a clerk by trade. His wife Sarah Staples Hodges nee Blackmore died 20 Jul 1852 Camberwell London. his two children William Thomas was sent to school then resided with maternal grandfather Thomas Blackmore in the 1871 census. Daughter Sarah Georgina lived with Thomas Blackmore also in 1861. I thought he may have died in the late 1850s giving reason for children living with grandparents.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast