Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Valued member of Brit-Gen

dear Janet
    thankyou. I found on the IGI a William Hodges married a Ann Leudamore 1 Jul 1789 St John Baptist,Hereford. Also saw your William Hodges and Ann Bridges on the IGI . Also found on the IGI Thomas Hodges christened 18 Jul 1802 Hereford. father William mother Ann. GS film 91526. batch CO5806-1.

this could be my Thomas but which Ann?

Your earlier info on Thomas' son William and his 2nd marriage? to Ann. Do you think I should order the marriage cert to verify that he is my william.
    Paul Milner (when I spoke to him on his last visit to Australia) at a conference in Canberra here, suggested I try and find out where the money came from for my Sarah Georgiana Hodges (daughter of William & Sarah, son of Thomas & Catherine) as she is listed as independent means in the 1881 census. what do you think and where would I start. regards Doreen

janbooth

Looking for a will could be a very good idea as they so often give a lot of family information. I wonder if the annuity for Sarah Georgiana could have come from the BLACKMORE side of the family as I notice in the 1851 census that both of the BLACKMORE visitors to William & Sarah HODGES were shown as Annuitants.

The National Probate Calendar 1858-1966 is available to search online at Ancestry but that only shows the people making the wills and their Executors or Administrators. If you find a will, you can then order it using the details shown. It used to be from York but I think it may have changed. If you do a search on the Forum for the "ordering wills" or some such parameter, I'm sure the details will come up.

Will have another look for details re William son of Thomas & Catherine later on - must do some housework! - and get back to you.

Janet

janbooth

Hello again Doreen,

I have now managed to trace William HODGES, Clerk, through all the census records up to his death registration in 1908:

In 1861 (RG9/2016, folio 85, page 23) William HODGES, aged 34, Railway Clerk, born Cheltenham is living in Walsall, Staffs with wife Annie, aged 37, born Walsall (transcribed as HODGER by Ancestry)

In 1871 (RG10/1380, folio 151, page 5) William HODGES, Clerk, is living in Bushey, Hertfordshire with wife Ann and daughter Anne, aged 9, born Hampstead

In 1881 (RG11/2949, folio 33, page 37) William HODGES, Clerk, is living in Kings Norton, Worcestershire with wife Annie and daughter Edith, aged 8, born Watford, Hertfordshire (birth reg Edith May HODGES June qtr 1872 at Watford), the family being boarders in the household of Flora KETTLE

In 1891 (RG12/2464, folio 77, page 92) William HODGES, Clerk, is living in Sparkhill, Yardley, Worcestershire with wife Annie and daughter Mary (presumably Edith May), aged 18, born Watford (family transcribed as HALFEN by Ancestry)

In 1901 (RG13/2924, folio 11, page 10) William HODGES, Widower, Retired Commercial Clerk is still living in Sparkhill, Yardley by himself

Death registration for an Ann HODGES in the October qtr 1895 at Solihull (reg district for Yardley), aged 58
    Death registration for a William HODGES in the March qtr 1908 at Solihull, aged 81

1911 census of Yardley shows Edith May HODGES, aged 34, Telephone Operator, born Watford living in the household of a William Edward THOMAS at 20 Wilton Road, Sparkhill - age is a bit out but I am pretty sure that this is William's daughter.

This William HODGES consistently gives his date of birth as c1827 at Cheltenham and his occupation as a Clerk. There is only one William HODGES baptised c1826/7 in Cheltenham on the Gloucestershire Baptismal Index and that is your William HODGES son of Thomas & Catherine and the occupation of Clerk ties in very well with the information you have. However, I cannot find a marriage on the GRO for William HODGES & Ann/Annie between 1852 and 1861 at the moment. I don't know why (if this is your William) he left the children from his first marriage with their grandparents but I do know this did happen. My own paternal grandfather's son from his first marriage was left with his grandmother and I only discovered that my mother had a half brother when the 1911 census was released and I am still not sure to this day whether she knew anything of him. Neither I nor my brother knew of his existence!

Will keep looking for a second marriage for William as that would confirm one way or another whether he was indeed your William.

Janet

janbooth

Another piece of information. Georgiana BLACKMORE appears on the National Probate Calendar. Apparently she died 14 February 1871 and Administration was granted on 6 March 1871 to Thomas BLACKMORE, her father and next of kin, 52 Eleanor Road North, Hackney, Middlesex. Effects under £300. I wonder if she left a legacy in her will to Sarah Georgiana?

Thomas BLACKMORE himself died on 29 September 1875 at 52 Eleanor Road North and Administration was granted on 21 October 1875 to his daughter Elizabeth GRANT wife of Thomas Jubal GRANT his daughter and sole Executrix. Effects under £200 - perhaps another legacy to Sarah Georgiana?

Janet

dear Janet
    I should send you flowers or something. you have been very helpful. hopefully we can confirm thomas parents as William and Ann?
    once this is confirmed I would like to try and find any siblings to Thomas. I have come across a Mary Hodges born1751 London who married a John Turnbull 1776 at St. Botolphs London. this John Turnbull is an ancestor of my daughter in law. curious if Mary was related way back then. Doreen

hi Janet
    found a William Hodges married Ann Crump Jan 1860 Tewkesbury, Gloucestershire. vol.6a, pg.567
    Doreen

janbooth

Hi Doreen,

Don't think that is your William HODGES as looking at the 1861 onwards census records, there is a William HODGES married to an Ann living in Tewkesbury and IGI shows the baptism of an Ann CRUMP on 26 March 1815 at Tewkesbury which fits the census details.

I think it is more likely that William would have married in Walsall given that they are living there in the 1861 census - if indeed they did marry - but still have not managed to find a marriage for them.

Janet

hi Janet
    I received this email from Herefordshire gov. Mother of Thomas Hodges should be given on the baptism record, which will be in the All Saints Parish Registers which are kept at Hereford Archives Offifce. The registers for St John the Baptist are kept at Hereford Cathedral. These relate to the marriage of Thomas' parents William and Ann. Apparently the Archives office are moving and so the office will only be open the first week of each month.
    I have ordered the death cert of Thomas dod 1858 and William dod 1907/8. these wont arrive till mid Oct.
    Here in Aust (I dont know about UK ) when you get a death cert it also shows all marriages, all childrens names and their ages, who the informant was, attending physicians etc. On birth cert it shows both parents names, their ages and their date and place of marriage. Marriage certs show grooms full name, occupation, age, addresws, both parents and fathers occupation, same as for bride plus religion, witnesses, minister, date and place of marriage.
    So hoping when the death certs arrive it will give both parents names.
    I am still looking for Wiliam's marriage to Ann in Walsall. Doreen

Allan F Sparrow

I'm afraid you're going to be a little disappointed, as Death certificates in England don't give quite so much information.
    What they give is the date and place of death, name, gender, age, occupation, cause of death, name and address of reporter, and date of registration. No reference to relations, unless one of them is the reporter.

janbooth

Hi Doreen,

As Allan says, UK Death Certificates are nowhere near as informative as Australian ones - would that they were! I am still trying to find more info about William HODGES, but so far no luck! Will keep looking though.

Janet

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast