Thread: St Hellier

sniper617

Default St Hellier

Hi,

Does anyone know if Columbia Street still exists in St Hellier please.

Thank you

Mike

gasser

Sorry... google maps only shows 'Columbus Street' , but I suppose you might already know this.

sniper617

Default Columbia Street, St Hellier

Quote Originally Posted by gasser View Post
    Sorry... google maps only shows 'Columbus Street' , but I suppose you might already know this.
    Thanks for that, i did know that and i'm wondering if the street name was changed post 1919. It is possible also that the Army record office mis spelt the name of the street as well. I'll have to see if i can find someone who lives in St Hellier who would be willing to do some digging for me.

Thanks again
    Mike

gasser

Could it be possible that the written entry looks like it says Columbia ...what I mean to say is, that it is Columbus and the ending looks more like 'ia' ???

sniper617

I know what you mean but this has been typed out so i think the error maybe in the actual spelling. Not to worry i will get it sorted if i have to visit there myself. Come to think of it thats not a bad idea, lol.
    Thanks again for your help. By the way i am researching a Cheshire War Memorial at the moment with a view of it going into a book where all proceeds will be going towards military charities. I also plan to put up a website listing and photos of all the war memorials in Cheshire and where i can actually put my research up on the website. If you have any photos of war memorials in this county i would really appreciate a copy of them.

Kind regards
    Mike

gasser

I'll bear this in mind Mike and in time I shall pm you when I have some photos for you.
    cheers Gail

sniper617

Hi Gail,

I look forward to recieving the photos from you. Incidently i also have a full list of war casualties and where they are buried so if you wish to do some war grave photos as well i can send you a datasheet listing all your local cemeteries and churchyards with all their details if you PM me your email address and a rough location. I am trying to marry them up with all the town memorials so researchers will have a fuller picture.

Regards
    Mike

Stewart Hill

I haven't been looking at what you are looking at but could it be Colomberie (no Street on the end or anything else)? This still exists.

Stewart (in Jersey)