Schatzi

Default Margaret Jandrell her son Benjamin- Liverpool

I am interested in finding out anything about Margaret Jandrell and her son Benjamin and the time they spent in Liverpool as this is a complete blank in the family history.

What I know is that Margaret Jandrell was baptised in Condover Parish, Shropshire 26 October 1788. She had two illegitimate children baptised in Condover Parish - Laetitia Jandrell (27 Nov. 1808) and Thomas Eaton (Nov 1812). Margaret told Benjamin that he was born on 15 November 1815 in Liverpool. I can find no record of his baptism.

The UK National Archives, Lancashire Record Office, hold the following record: "Toxteth Park. Order of filiation and maintenance of bastard son of Thomas Huyton, ropemaker, and Margaret Jandrell, singlewoman QSP/2699/171 1816 18 Apr" Is the bastard son perhaps Benjamin?

Schatzi

You can see I am new at this I left out the quotation marks around "bastard son". I really did not mean to call the esteemed Benjamin Jandrell a bastard!

Also important information I did not mention is that at some time Margaret Jandrell married a Stephen Elliott (I have no record of this marriage) Then around 1824 to 1826 Stephen Elliott with Margaret and Benjamin emigrated to South Africa and lived in Wynberg near Cape Town.

All help will be most appreciated.

birdlip

Quote Originally Posted by Schatzi View Post

at some time Margaret Jandrell married a Stephen Elliott (I have no record of this marriage)
    Hi there,

Family search has this:

Stephen Elliott m Margaret GANDRELL 11 November 1816 St James Liverpool.

cheers Jan

Schatzi

Thank you! Thank You! I am most impressed that you found that! You are a much better detective than I am.

I must say I have earmarked St. James, Liverpool as a possible church for a baptism record for Benjamin but have been unable to find a source online. I believe the relevant baptism records are available at the Lancashire Record Office but a little to far away from South Africa for me to visit I am afraid!

Original images for the marriage that Jan found plus other Liverpool parish register images are available on ancestry.co.uk
    Sue Mackay
    Insanity is hereditary - you get it from your kids

Schatzi

Thank you for that. I have tiptoed round the site before wondering if it was worth subscribing.

Name well known on Brit-Gen

Spoke with Lancashire RO you can order the Bastardy order via e mail but you get a paper copy via the posatal system as these records are no loaded on line the UK ost is £5 sterling!!

Schatzi

Thank you. I will follow up on this!