daisymae54

Smile Newport Union Workhouse - inmates

Hi: I am trying to find out if my Gr-grandmother was in the Newport Union Workhouse when her kids were admitted on March 31, 1910. Is there anywhere where I can get this information. Her name was: Mary Mayo, born around 1866. Her husband passed in 1908 (Albert Mayo) and her kids were admitted to the workhouse: their names: Gertrude Mayo (b. 1896), Hilda Mayo (b. 1898), Doris Mayo (b. 1900). Thanks for any help.

Brick wall demolition expert!

This site has info about the Workhouse and at the end suggests that Gwent Archives might have the records:

https://www.workhouses.org.uk/Newport/

https://www.gwentarchives.gov.uk/

Valued member of Brit-Gen

Hello daisymae

Yes the Gwent records office now in Ebbw Vale hold all these records, I have used them myself for family who were in the Newport Workhouse 1902 to 1904, this building is still in use as St Woolos Hospital, Newport Gwent. was Monmouthshire

Robert

daisymae54

Thanks. I was hoping I didn't have to go through the Gwent records office as it is expensive per hr.

Thumbs up

Hi daisymae,
    as far as I know, there are no charges for searching the files , they might charge for copying and the like but not for searching.

Give them a ring and ask, but I am pretty sure there is none, I see you are from Canada so a visit might be impossible, if that is the case, might I suggest you join the Mongenes site ( Family history for Monmouthshire) they have a few people who visit the records office regularly and might do a look up for you.

I had family sent from the workhouse to Barnardo,s and then on to Canada in and around 1906 to 1912, only ever found two of the four children involved.

Let me know if you have any luck, or if I can help in any way.

Robert Purnell
    Last edited by maesglas/ssclub; 31-07-2013 at 10:59 AM. Reason: left word out

Gwent Family History Society have members that will do research for other members simply for expenses - usually the photocopying etc. They also have members who are very knowledgeable about the history of the old county of Monmouthshire. Take a look at their website
    www.gwentfhs.info

The membership cost includes four journals a year which carries stories about research in the county and also has a help column where members can ask questions and other members can answer them.
    Sadly, our dear friend Ann (alias Ladkyis) passed away on Thursday, 26th. December, 2019.
    Footprints on the sands of time

daisymae54

Cool Gwent Family History Society

Thank you. I have recently joined and have since had someone contact me for help.

daisymae54

Robert:
    If I can help on the Canadian side let me know. I know a contact for Hazelbrae which is the distribution house the girls came through in Peterborough, Ontario Canada. There is also a monument with the names of all the girls that came through Hazelbrae. If you need any help we also have the National Archives here in Ottawa Canada.

Hi daisymae
    thanks very much for your offer, but my computer is down waiting for replacement part, I am on my partners laptop, which I dont like,
    will contact you again when Im up and running again.

once again thanks
    Robert