Aussie Shep

Default Discharge paper - query

my grandfather Frank Eric Norris was discharged from the navy.
    Can anyone tell me what is written next to Rating:
    and why he was discharged. it says for the following reason:- Oronsay 1st Voyage

https://i584.photobucket.com/albums/s...se04e5b4f.jpeg
    https://i584.photobucket.com/albums/s...shep74/001.jpg

the second link is his navy record from his entry and ships.
    Thanks in advance

Famous for offering help & advice

Hi Shep

I'm no expert, so these are just my thoughts:

1 Next to Rating, it appears to be "Asst Sta" = Assistant something? (In his navy record, he passed for "St.A" in January 1923 - could the "St" = Staff?)

2 The reverse side appears to be a declaration referring to the fact that he has not served "continuously" with the Navy - the Oronsay was an ocean liner built for the Orient Steam Navigation Company. Launched in 1924, her maiden voyage was February 1925: London to Melbourne, Sydney & Brisbane.

3 His navy record appears to show that his discharge was approved because he was "unsuitable for rating of S.B.A." - one of his misdemeanours was "knowingly making a false document".

Does this help?
    Jane
    (My tag-line has recently changed to 'A fountain of knowledge' - Ha!! In reality, I'm more like a dripping tap ... and Wikipedia is very handy for useful information!)

That's a Merchant Marine card isn't it? not the Royal Navy. The Stamp is certainly M.M. I think you have both RN and MM records there. As we can't see the whole of the second one I am just guessing it is RN.

I think the word written under "document" is uncleanliness

"Unsuitable for rating of S.B.A in expectation of F.S ???? ????"
    Sadly, our dear friend Ann (alias Ladkyis) passed away on Thursday, 26th. December, 2019.
    Footprints on the sands of time

Aussie Shep

Thankyou fullscott & Ladkyis for replying.
    On the front page of his entry record from the national archives it states that his occupation was a clerk. Was this before or during his 7yr period?
    Where can I find the ratings for the merchant marine or royal navy? I would like to know what S.B.A means. "Unsuitable for rating of S.B.A in expectation of F.S ???? ????"
    The document I downloaded from the national archives says Royal Navy?Admiralty: Royal Navy Registers of Seamen's Services. Miscellaneous. Name Norris, Frank Eric. Official Number: M36796. Place of Birth: Finchley, Middlesex. Date of Birth: 28 July 1903.
    Collection: Records of the Admiralty, Naval Forces, Royal Marines, Coastguard, and related bodies
    Date range: 01 January 1921 - 31 December 1921
    Reference:ADM 188/1091/36796

The discharge paper I downloaded from FMP says Merchant Marine?? I
    Last edited by Aussie Shep; 07-07-2013 at 8:15 AM. Reason: FORGOT TO INCLUDE

Michael Duke

S B A is for Sick Berth Attendant in the Royal Navy. This man was a male nurse, similar to an army medic.

Aussie Shep

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Duke View Post
    S B A is for Sick Berth Attendant in the Royal Navy. This man was a male nurse, similar to an army medic.
    Thankyou Michael. I am confused as to why he wrote his occupation as a clerk.would you need any medical qualifications to be a S.B.A.

jac65

Hi

This link gives some information about Sick Berth Attendant,

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sick_Berth_Attendant

Andy

Aussie Shep

https://rcnarchive.rcn.org.uk/data/VO...tember1911.pdf
    I found the above link if anyone else is interested.

Well I have learnt something from this thread. All I have to do is remember it now. Really interesting.

ETA: He could have been in both the Merchant Marine and the royal Navy at different times. Perhaps he was rejected for the RN and so went to the MM. He wouldn't have to say where he was working before joining the MM if he didn't want to. I mean a lot of men joined under a false name to escape the law - or some bigamous marriages, I can think of one case of that in my family.
    Sadly, our dear friend Ann (alias Ladkyis) passed away on Thursday, 26th. December, 2019.
    Footprints on the sands of time

Aussie Shep

I found the link very interesting to Ladkyis. My grandfather according to my dad was that he was such a storyteller my dad doesn't believe anything his dad told him. We found a marriage before he married my nan. So if he was in the royal navy and then joined the merchant marines it doesn't surprise me at all! thanks again will keep on the hunt for any new information I can gather on him.