Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    dian

Default Brooks and Bryant families Nailsea 19th centu

I have long history of son of Martha Bryant, died 1892,buried Nailsea. I have names of her 7 children. One was Samuel. He went to Aust. 1860. Before marriage she was a Brooks of Glassmakers, Nailsea.

Would be pleased for any more details, and supply more if another researcher wants. di

Hi dian
    is yours one of the public trees on ancestry?

Is there any one or more of Martha's children that you are specifically interested in getting more information on?

Christanel

Added:- according to the 1851 census (HO107 Piece 1946 folio 200 page 9) John Bryant and Martha Brooks had 9 children.
    Thomas 1830, Harry 1831, Charles 1832, Samuel 1834, Martha 1838, Edgar 1840, Clement 1842, Lavinia 1845 and Emily 1847.

dian

Christanel

Was it Martha's brother, Henry Brooks who went to Melb and set up the Brooks Robinson Glass Co. Elizabeth St. Melb?

I do not have a tree on ancestry. I have my own extensive one. My 95 year old mother has forbidden looking into the past while she's alive. I, however, can't resist giving bits to people who may have use.

Thanks di

Hi dian
    One particular tree on ancestry has quite a few media records.

If you search for Nailsea Glassworks there appear to be quite a few publications.

Earlier in the afternoon I had an interesting article and now I can't make it come up again!! I seem to recall that it was a Henry Brooks who was in OZ earlier than Samuel to set up a glassworks. Martha and John's son Harry Bryant went to the US and died in Indianapolis.
    If your local library has ancestry online for free you could take a look at the trees on there.

Christanel.

dian

christanel,

Thanks. I do sometimes go to State library so will look up Bryants/Briant next I go. di

Mern

Greetings! I am a descendant of John and Martha Bryant from Nailsea. My Great Great Grandpa was their son Harry who came to the U.S. I have tons of info and pictures, including info on the Brooks that went to Dublin and then Australia, and on Samuel that went to Footscray. I have a site on Ancestry.com. Would love to be in touch if you are descendants!

dian

I am looking into the Samuel Bryants last child , Fanny. I wonder if she married twice. Secondly to a Nicholas Sholto Anderson Terrier. Who was her first husband? Did they have any children? I can't find anything marriage/divorce on either first or second marriage. A name Annie Frances Walker appears now and then in relation to them. I don't know who she is

Maybe Annie Francis Walker married a brother or possibly a son of Nicholas Sholto Terrier
    This marriage record has two entries and in both the groom's name is a bit of a mess. But putting the two records together we have a Phillip Nicholas Terrier maybe?
    Australia Marriage Index, 1788-1950 about Annie Frances Walker
    Annie Frances Walker
    Spouse Name - Phills Nichls Ferrier
    Married at - Victoria
    Registered Victoria
    Registration Year - 1911
    Registration number - 10663

Australia Marriage Index, 1788-1950 about Annie Frances Walker
    Annie Frances Walker
    Spouse - Lholls Michl Terrier
    Married at Victoria
    Registered - Victoria
    Registration Year - 1911
    Registration number- 10663R

Why do you think Fanny was married twice? She was born 1877 and Nicholas Terrier in 1878. There is a Nicholas and Fanny in the Victorian Electoral Rolls 1914. In 1910 he appears to be in WA by himself and a butcher.

dian

correction: dob fanny briant/bryant 6/3/1882. dob Nicholas sholto Terrier 30/8/1878. (Was dob Annie F 1877?)

My mother and her sister found a divorce cert signed by F. Walker in her mothers papers. They destroyed it because they believed it to be their mothers..a skeleton they did not want to look at!! The signature matches Fanny's writing. ( a bit dubious as the writing style of the time would have been universal?) The only Walker I've come across is Annie F, but it could be wrong, except she did marry a terrier.which is confusing as I have not come across a phills Nchls or lholls Michl Terrier in my researches of Terriers in Victoria.

Yes Nicholas was in WA as you state. Apparently they met there when she was visiting her sister/s in Perth. Both returned by boat. I'm trying to find passenger lists at present time.

Questions I'm thinking about:
    Was it Fanny who had a son in Footscray 1906???? Fanny would have been 24. Was the father Nicholas or a Mr Walker?
    Were N & F married before he left to go to WA goldfields as butcher?
    Was it Nicholas who was married to F. Walker?
    Is Nicholas Sholto who he says he is. Need to search his birth name
    Perhaps Annie F. is a red herring. Can I get clearer documentation of Lholls and Phills Nichl?
    Were fanny and Sholto ever married?

If you wanted to go down the path of locating a divorce record then this site tells you how. Here

Children may have been taught to write using a universal method but then, just as now, an individual's style developed independently of our teachers instructions.

You can view the marriage record for Annie Walker and Ferrier 1911 on the Victorian Govt site Here

It is pay per view but doesn't look too expensive.

Christanel

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast