Thread: jane garbutt

patlickley

Default jane garbutt

jane garbutt born 1878 in wakefield. was in wakefield union workhouse in1886. married William lickley

Annamarie

In the 1911 census, Jane's birthplace is listed as 'not known.' Since this was the first census filled in by members of the household I suggest Jane was not born in Wakefield. There is this Jane Garbutt, birth 1878 registered in Pickering Vol 9d p477. Perhaps she grew up in the Wakefield Workhouse? On her marriage to William Hickley her father is unknown, suggesting she was illegitimate.

Annamarie

Sorry, I'm not much help. I cannot find her in the census records before her marriage. She wasn't living in the workhouse in 1881. I have a GGrandmother born in 1878 who was 'fostered' in 1881, her costs were paid by the workhouse guardians. She appeared on the census with the foster family as a boarder but with their surname.

Nicolina

I think the Jane found by Annamarie was living with her grandmother, Eliza ROBINSON, in 1881. (RG11 Piece 4845 Folio 47 Page 5)
    She was supposedly born in Sinnington, just over 4 miles from Pickering.

Nicolina

I should have added that I also have GARBUTT from that area. I will have a look and see what I can find about other family members.