Knowledgeable and helpful

Question CERIZAY DEUX SEVRES (FRANCE)

After WWI my grandfather divorced his first wife, went living and working in Dinard and married a French woman Juliette CLOCHARD. They emigrated to New York in 1925 and their next of kin was Monsieur Clochard, Place Du Champ De Foire, Cerizay Deux Sevres.

I have been trying to find what that place was like in the 1920s but my "Googling" only returns current B&Bs and other holiday attractions. If anyone can point me into sites where I can find some historical information I would be very happy.

Also, would I have any chance of finding more about Juliette's ancestors from on-line French BMD site?

David

Hi David
    I know nothing about French genealogy but I put it in to google and quite a few sites came up.

ask.com says - If you are one of those people who have avoided delving into your French ancestry due to fears that the research would be too difficult, then wait no more! France is a country with excellent genealogical records, and it is very likely that you will be able to trace your French roots back several generations once you understand how and where the records are kept.

then it goes on to give explanations and links.

Like you I can't find anything on line about the history of Cerizay deaux Sevres except a small piece on Wikipedia

Famous for offering help & advice

Hi David

I googled "l'histoire de Cerizay, Deux Sevres". There are several sites that may be of interest (in French of course, but I'm sure there's a way to translate pages!).
    Cerizay is a canton in the Deux Sevres departement (= county), in the wider area known as the Vendee - I don't know if that will extend (or complicate!) the information provided.

As you can probably guess, I have no idea how to put a link to a site in this message! Computer illiterate, sorry.

Hope this helps
    Jane

Quote Originally Posted by fullscott View Post
    Hi David

I googled "l'histoire de Cerizay, Deux Sevres". There are several sites that may be of interest (in French of course, but I'm sure there's a way to translate pages!).
    Cerizay is a canton in the Deux Sevres departement (= county), in the wider area known as the Vendee - I don't know if that will extend (or complicate!) the information provided.

As you can probably guess, I have no idea how to put a link to a site in this message! Computer illiterate, sorry.

Hope this helps
    Jane
    Hi Jane

I'll use your phrase in Google and hopefully there will be the option to translate any pages that appear. Failing that I'll have to brush up on the French I learnt at college (only 40 years ago!!)

David

Quote Originally Posted by christanel View Post
    Hi David
    I know nothing about French genealogy but I put it in to google and quite a few sites came up.

ask.com says - If you are one of those people who have avoided delving into your French ancestry due to fears that the research would be too difficult, then wait no more! France is a country with excellent genealogical records, and it is very likely that you will be able to trace your French roots back several generations once you understand how and where the records are kept.

then it goes on to give explanations and links.

Like you I can't find anything on line about the history of Cerizay deaux Sevres except a small piece on Wikipedia
    I'll give ask.com a go and see what I can discover, thanks for your help
    David

SueNSW

There is a little bit of history (in French of course) on the Cerizay town web site

https://www.cerizay.fr/index.php?opti...&id=1&Itemid=9

There are some records online for Cerizay

https://archives.deux-sevres.com/arch...9tatcivil.aspx

but doesn't look to be anything after 1902 unfortunately

Jane's information is slightly incorrect - Cerizay is quite close to the border of Deux Sevres and Vendee - but Vendee is actually another departement (85). DS (dept 79) is currently one of 4 departements that make up the admininstrative area of Poitou Charente

To complicate matters though - the only Place du Champ de Foire that shows up on Google maps today is in the town of Saint-Mesmin - just over the border in Vendee

Hope this helps a bit

Sue
    (Currently living at the southern end of Deux Sevres)

Quote Originally Posted by SueNSW View Post
    There is a little bit of history (in French of course) on the Cerizay town web site

https://www.cerizay.fr/index.php?opti...&id=1&Itemid=9

There are some records online for Cerizay

https://archives.deux-sevres.com/arch...9tatcivil.aspx

but doesn't look to be anything after 1902 unfortunately

Jane's information is slightly incorrect - Cerizay is quite close to the border of Deux Sevres and Vendee - but Vendee is actually another departement (85). DS (dept 79) is currently one of 4 departements that make up the admininstrative area of Poitou Charente

To complicate matters though - the only Place du Champ de Foire that shows up on Google maps today is in the town of Saint-Mesmin - just over the border in Vendee

Hope this helps a bit

Sue
    (Currently living at the southern end of Deux Sevres)
    Thank you so much Sue, you've given me some leads to follow on this cold, wet and miserable afternoon here in Pirongia.

David