Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Bonnie19

Default Archibald Hunter b.1795 Scotland m.Clohe Ann

I am looking for the children of Archibald and Clohe Ann Randal b.Dec 5, 1804 in USA. I have one son James Hunter b. 1836 in Scotland. The family apparently then moved to Waterloo county in Ontario, Canada.
    Anyone recognize them.

Hello Bonnie19 and welcome to BG

I have moved this thread to the Canada forum for now but if needed it can be moved again depending in which direction the search takes us.

Christanel

I am trying to establish a base from which to work
    This is the death of your couple at Waterloo in 1880

Archibald Hunter, age 86, Blacksmith born Scotland died 7 January 1880 - general debility.
    Death registered by stepson George Simpson 16 Jan 1880 his residence North Dumfries

Chloe Ann Randall Hunter age 77 born USA., wife of Blacksmith, died 9 Jan 1880 - fainting and general debility
    Death registered by son George Simpson 16 Jan 1880, residence North Dumfries.

So they died within 2 days of each other and Chloe had been married before marrying Archibald.

I see there is a James Hunter, blacksmith in the Canada, City and Area Directories of 1947 next to Archibald. Do you have any idea of James' birth date?

This looks like George in 1851
    George Simpson
    Age 26 - estimated birth year about 1826
    Birthplace - United States
    Residence - Canada West (Ontario)
    District - Waterloo County
    Sub-District - Dumfries North

I am gathering this stuff hoping it will lead me back to Archibald and Chloe.

Bonnie19

I have James Smith Hunter b 2 Feb 1872 one of 9 siblings including Archibald and Randall.

Hi
    Ok so James Smith Hunter can't be the son of Chloe because she would have been 69 when he was born.
    Is it possible she was his grandmother? I"ll take a look and see if I can find anything. Someone else may come up with what my eyes can't see.

Christanel

I have just taken a look on ancestry and there are 6 trees on there for this family.

I was right Archibald and Chloe are the grandparents of the 3 people (plus 6 siblings) you named. They are the children of James Hunter and Isabell McLelland. The tree I looked at doesn't seem to have George Simpson on it and only has the one child, James Hunter 1836 - 1902 for Archibald and Chloe.

Have you been in touch with any of the tree owners on ancestry? ancestry can be accessed at some public libraries if you don't have a subscription.

I have just taken a look at the free site mundia and there are the trees on there also. Put it in to google and when you get the results click on the one that says 'search' then enter James Smith Hunter's name and Canada in where born.

Bonnie19

Yes James Smith Hunter is her grandson. Chloe's son James was born Dec 5, 1836. You had asked about a blacksmith named James Hunter listed in a 1947 directory- that would have been the grandson, brother to an Archibald and a Randall Hunter.

Hi Bonnie19
    so what you are trying to find out is if Archibald and Chloe had any other children together other than James 1836?
    If either or both of them left a will it could help answer that question. I have absolutely no experience at all of looking for wills in Canada but you have all the death and burial details so that may help in finding one.
    This government site explains about wills in Canada
    https://www.collectionscanada.gc.ca/0...906.010-e.html

I'm sorry but I do not know what else to suggest as I can only find references to George Simpson, son of Chloe and James son of both Archibald and Chloe.

Famous for offering help & advice

Bonnie..Ancestry dot ca is free this coming weekend.. see my post https://www.british-genealogy.com/for...ly-1st-Weekend

Sue

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast