Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: krumble

krumble

Default krumble

Hi am researching the ancestors of Charles William Abbott born about 1834 Canterbury Kent . Father William Abbott and mother Elizabeth (Sladden ? Stanner?) if this is his parents -Married in Alkham Kent 1829
    Charles William Abbott arrived in Australia about 1854 and died 1872.
    Death certificate states he was 38yrs old, and in Australia for 18 years ( that is how I calculated his age .)
    Charles William was my great grandfather

You don't say whether you have a Charles with William and Ann as parents in the censuses prior to leaving for OZ c1854 so this could be a contender in 1851. I know the birth date is out 4 years but that is nothing especially as the informant on a death certificate may not know all the details. The family has moved from Kent to Essex over the other side of the river Thames HO107 Piece 1777 Folio 83 Page 6
    Eastwood Lodge EastwoodEssex
    William Abbott 49 farmer of 220 acres Canterbury
    Elizabeth Abbott 45 wife
    Charles Abbott 21 son Canterbury
    Elizth Abbott 19 dau Canterbury
    Mary Abbott 15 dau Canterbury
    Matilda Wade 12 visitor Chelmsford Essex
    Mary Partner 18 house servant

krumble

Have found the 1851 Census the thing that put me of was the age of Charles William Abbott .

William and Elizabeth in 1861, Charles and Elizabeth have left home and I can't find a Charles of suitable age in 1861 other than one who has been married to a Selena since before the 1851 census (according to ages of the children)
    RG 9 Piece 1060 Folio 123 Page 12
    Nightingale Place Wanstead Essex
    William Abbot 58 collector of rates Canterbury
    Elizabeth Abbot 54 Walthamstow
    Mary Abbot 25 dau no occupation Canterbury
    Anton W Estridge 20 boarder

Do you have Charles William's marriage certificate? Did he marry Anne J Francis?

This is the marriage you refer to on familysearch.org
    William Abbott to Elizabeth Sladden
    1 September 1829 at Alkham Kent

This couple could be the one I have found in the 1851 and 1861 censuses (but not 1841 as yet)

Alkham is only a short distance from Waltham Kent which is where Elizabeth says she was born

Hi
    just seen your post. I wouldn't be too worried about the age especially as you have taken it from his death cert and the informant may not be accurate or Charles himself may have fibbed a bit.

krumble

Charles William Abbott came to Australia About 1854.
    I am trying to find his ancestors

krumble

The transcript of death certificate state married at 30years
    have also looked at the All London ,England ,Births and Baptism 1813-1906 there is a William and Elizabeth Abbott of Poplars All Saints -Tower Hamlets with a family ???
    I was also wondering if Charles is also William same person ???

krumble

I do have a transcript of marriage certificate -Yes he did marry Ann Jane Francis my grandfather was there son Frederick Charles
    Marriage certificate was very limited with information
    Charles came to Australia in abt 1854
    Also limited info on what ship he came on.

Quote Originally Posted by krumble View Post
    I do have a transcript of marriage certificate -Yes he did marry Ann Jane Francis my grandfather was there son Frederick Charles
    Marriage certificate was very limited with information
    Charles came to Australia in abt 1854
    Also limited info on what ship he came on.
    Oh so no help there then.

Charles was definite about where he was born although looking on familysearch.org I haven't been able to pick up a baptism for him to William and Elizabeth.
    There are baptisms for an Elizabeth and Mary which match those on the 1851 census but the mother is given as Elizabeth Sarah.

krumble

I have not found any baptism for Charles W either
    I looked into All London England Births and Baptisms 1813 -1906 for William Abbott and found a family William and Elizabeth Abbott with births of 6 children baptized Elizabeth 1833 Ann 1834 William 1835 Ann(Mary) 1837 Martha 1838 Emma 1839
    all of Poplars All Saints Tower Hamlets -3 of the girls died as infants are not on census Mary and Elizabeth match the census
    Charles may have been baptised as William
    Charles is a mystery man I cannot find his grave and he passed away in my local area.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast