Loves to help with queries

Default Statham family marriage record

I am trying to find out if a Mary Statham married on the 15 /11/1841 at St Nicholas church Warwick is part of my 'Statham' family. Could someone please check the marriage record for me ?
    My families father was a George Statham, a boatman/navigator and lived at Humphries St in Warwick.

janbooth

Yes, this marriage looks like your Mary. From Ancestry's Warwickshire Parish Register images:

15 November 1841 at St Nicholas, Warwick George BAKER, full age, bachelor, Servant, Emscote, father William BAKER, Labourer, and Mary STATHAM, full age, spinster, Servant, Emscote, father George STATHAM, Boatman.

George made his mark, Mary signed and the witnesses were George STATHAM who signed and Elizabeth HAROLD who made her mark.

Janet

Many thanks Janet .
    I have in my family tree an Ann Statham born 1813 and an Elizabeth Statham baptised in Upper Shuckborough in 1821, this is the first detail of a Mary Statham. I will look for Mary in the 1841 census on my next visit to the library i know she was not living at home with her family..
    George Statham and Elizabeth Harrold married in 1844.
    Thanks once again.

janbooth

More marriages from Ancestry's Warwickshire parish registers which could be children of your George STATHAM:

4 Nov 1845 at Leamington Hastings Timothy CARPENTER, full age, bachelor, Labourer, Leamington Hastings, father John CARPENTER, Labourer & Sarah STATHAM, full age, spinster, Napston, father George STATHAM, Boatman. Timothy signed and Sarah made her mark. Witnesses: William CARPENTER (marked) and Anne CARPENTER who signed.

27 Jun 1847 at St Nicholas Warwick James STATHAM, full age, bachelor, Boatman, New Street Emscote, father George STATHAM, Boatman & Anne LEWIS, minor, spinster, New Street Emscote, father William LEWIS, Sawyer. Both signed and witnesses were Charles READING? & Naomi DAVIS who both signed also.

Another possibility given the baptism below:

8 February 1854 at Leamington Hastings John HANCOCK, full age, bachelor, Labourer, Kings Newnham in parish of Church Lawford, father John HANCOCK, Labourer & Ellen STATHAM, full age, spinster, 37 Warwick Street, father George STATHAM, Labourer. Both signed and the witnesses were Thomas HANCOX & Elizabeth Anne Nichola HANCOX who both signed.

And in case you do not have full details:

3 Sep 1844 at St Mary Warwick George STATHAM, full age, bachelor, Drayman, Wallace Street, father George STATHAM, Boatman & Betsey HARROLD, full age, spinster, Saltisford, father Joseph HARROLD, Labourer. George signed and Betsey made her mark. Witnesses: John HART & Elizabeth Rose HART who both signed.

There are 4 baptisms at Leamington Hastings for children of a George STATHAM, Boatman (via Ancestry's Warwickshire parish registers) all on 1 March 1829:

Mary daughter of George & Elizabeth STATHAM, Broadwell, Boatman
    James son of George & Elizabeth STATHAM, Broadwell, Boatman
    and twins William & Ellen children of George & Elizabeth STATHAM, Broadwell, Boatman

Also a baptism at St Mary Warwick on 25 December 1846 of a William STATHAM son of George & Betsey, Park Street, Servant.

Also some baptisms for the children of James & Ann STATHAM - let me know if you would like them. I may be replicating information you already have in which case just ignore.

Janet

janbooth

Just found this burial which may also be one of yours:

18 July 1830 at Leamington Hastings Elizabeth STATHAM, Broadwell, aged 9 years

Janet

I only had the family record in the 1841 census to go off and I had missed Mary Statham and now we have a Sarah Statham as well. So that gives me an other area to research .
    Some of the data I had already but not the amount of detail that you have found so that's been a great help. I wondered what had happened to Elizabeth Statham and now I know.
    I have searched for baptism records for the younger children without success so really pleased to have that info . Their youngest child is my g.g. grandfather John Statham born C1831 , he is in the 1841 and 1861 censuses (he died in Manchester Prestwich workhouse 1866) , but I haven't found a baptism record or any sign of him in the 1851 census , so if you can help there I would be grateful.
    The father George Statham married Elizabeth Jennings in Wendover in 1811, so far I have had no luck in finding his baptism or any records of his time on the canals. Can you help /
    Really pleased with all the records you have found . thanks

janbooth

The details you are missing are proving somewhat elusive to find. I have found George STATHAM snr's burial record at St Mary, Warwick on 18 April 1847, of Emscote, aged 61 which puts his birth date as c1786. The 1841 census shows him as not born in the county but that may be an error as they have put wife Elizabeth as born in the county and according to the 1851 census record she was born in Wendover which makes much more sense as that is where George & Elizabeth married. Have you had a look at the actual marriage record for George & Elizabeth and if so are there any clues such as witness names or an address for George at that time? Could Ann have been born in Wendover which appears to be her mother's home parish?

Bucks FHS will do a search of their parish record database on surname for £1 per request. If you do not have a copy of George & Elizabeth's marriage entry it could be worthwhile asking for that and perhaps a try to see if George or daughter Ann was born in Bucks. I have used this facility and it was pretty quick and efficient.

No luck with John STATHAM I'm afraid. Perhaps he was missed off the 1851 and I cannot find a baptism for him in Ancestry's Warwickshire records.

Janet

Hi janet
    I purchased the Wendover CD from Bucks FHS and have the transcripts for George and Elizabeths marriage and the baptism record for their daughter Ann.No real help their . There is a record for Elizabeths baptism in Wendover but not for George. Interestingly Georges surname is spelt 'Staytham'......
    Records for John Statham have proved difficult to find , all the other children were baptised so I would presume there is a record somewhere and as he worked on the canal boats perhaps he was away from home for the 1851 census.
    Thanks for all your help.