Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Reputation beyond repute

Perhaps have a look at the Banns Register for a second opinion.

Name well known on Brit-Gen

PS FAO Waitabit: May I contact you about a query relating to a descendant of mine in Adelaide?
    Of course, if I can help. sorry I missed this in the search for the indecipherable addy.
    Happy Families
    Wendy
    Count your Blessings, they'll all add up in the end.

Super Moderator - Completely bonkers and will never change.

There is a place called Haswell, in county Durham, about 15 miles south of the Tyne.

I've been trying to decipher what the vicar wrote (I had to cheat and enter Robert and Alice into FreeBMD to find out the surnames because his writing is that bad!) but have come to conclusion that he has written Haswell.

Pam

lillybones

Hi, I've looked at my old map but it only covers Wallsend 1913. The adjoining 'parish' to Byker was Walker. I don't think he will have gone to Benwell as that is to the west of the city and bieng a blacksmith I would imagine he would stay north and east of the river near the major shipyards.
    I won't give up, and will continue to look through my history, as that is Mums area.
    Lilly

lillybones

Hi again, why don't you ask the registrar who copied the certificate what they thought the name was. I've always found my local registrar very helpful with unsure place names. Lilly

David Benson

Quote Originally Posted by lillybones View Post
    Hi again, why don't you ask the registrar who copied the certificate what they thought the name was. I've always found my local registrar very helpful with unsure place names. Lilly
    This one is probably dead as the cert was written in 1916.

Super Moderator - Completely bonkers and will never change.

Quote Originally Posted by lillybones View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by David Benson View Post
    This one is probably dead as the cert was written in 1916.
    David, I think lillybones meant 'ask the registrar who issued the copy of the certificate that's shown above', which would be a fair question if the copy certificate had been issued locally and possibly handwritten by someone in the local office.

Lilliybones - unfortunately ernie obtained the certificate through the GRO at Southport. What he has is a photo-copy of the copy certificate issued locally at the time of the marriage in 1916. Therefore, as David says, the person whose writing you're looking at has been dead for at least several years; possibly a lot.

To clarify what I mean by 'copy certificate' - when you marry in a CofE church the church has one copy of the certificate which it retains in the 'register book of marriages in the parish of .....' (i.e. the parish register.) There is a further copy (which if I remember correctly should be completed by the vicar at the same time) made in another register and that is sent to the local register office at the end of every quarter. And I have a feeling that the local registrar makes a further copy which is the one sent to the GRO. Which is why the certificates from the GRO always say 'Certified to be a true copy of an entry in the certified copy of the register of marriages in the registration district of...'
    And which is why the names in the parish register are not always the same as the ones in the GRO Index.

Pam

tinkingumble

According to the National Archives, the original St Michael's Byker Parish Registers are held by the Northumberland Record Office. Acquisition number EP/29/36 1914-18. This will therefore remove any transcription errors.
    The website is here https://www.northumberland.gov.uk/default.aspx?page=1665
    Phillimores Atlas does not list any other churches for Byker (indeed it doesn't mention Byker at all) but as your cert states the marriage was performed at The Parish Church in Byker, it suggests that it's likely it's the only one.
    You might well find that an email to the NRO telling them you already have the cert but just want to know what that word on the original reads, will get you a prompt (and free) reply.

erniepar

Thank you. That is very helpful and I will pursue this (and let people know.)The Parish Church (as shown on the certificate) was technically "St Michael and All Angels". Built in 1862, it was closed in 2003 because of structural damage although there has now been a Lottery grant of £450,000 to remedy this, according to the Neswcastle Journal (https://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/news/...unused-1371914) et al.

imbrennan

Default Haswell

Quote Originally Posted by erniepar View Post
    Thank you. That is very helpful and I will pursue this (and let people know.)The Parish Church (as shown on the certificate) was technically "St Michael and All Angels". Built in 1862, it was closed in 2003 because of structural damage although there has now been a Lottery grant of £450,000 to remedy this, according to the Neswcastle Journal (https://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/news/...unused-1371914) et al.
    I am just looking at baptisms in Easington and some of the people there have an abode listed as Haswell. My husband (from the Northeast) tells me Easington itself is near Sunderland. (Being a Sunderland supporter I guess he knows the area)!!!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast