Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: New Competition

Famous for offering help & advice peter nicholl's Avatar

I know that the "standard answer" to this problem is "write it somewhere else and then copy/cut and paste into your post", but having ignored/forgotten that sage advice many times I do find it annoying when drafting a post to find if I don't carry on writing for a period of time, I get "locked out" and have to sign in again, only to find that I've lost the draft.

My suggestion is for a "Save Draft" button to act in the same way as one gets for an e-mail.

And perhaps something to flag up that a sentence of some 70 words is a bit too long.
    Peter Nicholl
    Researching:Nicholl,Boater, Haselgrove & Vaughan

Name well known on Brit-Gen

Quote Originally Posted by Sue Mackay View Post
    Then underneath I would like to see a pre 1974 COUNTY MAP of the UK, where clicking on a County would take you directly to the relevant County Forum. Many overseas members know that their ancestors came from a particular place in the UK but have no very clear idea of where it is, and it is often easier to post in General Enquiries rather than ploughing on through the list until you come to the relevant county forum - yet it is the very people with local knowledge who subscribe to county forums that newbies, particularly those from overseas, need to reach.
    Often very hard for non UK members to help out when a county is not mentioned, searching for a name is not easy when answers come up with everything but the county it's in. Often names are repeated in more than one county.

Unsure if it's correct to add thanks or comments, but the opportunity is too good to pass up, & saves double up entries
    Happy Families
    Wendy
    Count your Blessings, they'll all add up in the end.

Quote Originally Posted by christanel View Post
    So I would like the smileys to be more easily accessible. At the moment I can only find them when using advanced search (oh and that is another thing to look at - why two types of search, why not just straight to advanced?) Anyhow when I do go to advanced so I can access the smileys there are only a few available without clicking on 'more.' Can we just have a few simple ones lined up above the reply box which only need one click to place them in the required spot in the reply box?
    Just to clarify (I hope!) what christanel says. Currently if you press Reply you don't get offered smilies. If you then click on Go Advanced (within the Reply Box), you do get them. I think this is what christanel means rather than Advanced Search on the blue banner.
    Sue Mackay
    Insanity is hereditary - you get it from your kids

Thanks Sue for clarifying what I meant to say. Now I'll go to Go Advanced and get a smiley to put here!

A fountain of knowledge

Some forums offer a selection of the more common smilies in the bar along with bold/italic etc., , and you only go advanced if you want one of the more esoteric ones.

For my suggestion: How about an ability to store saved searches, maybe with an option to be e-mailed or PM-ed when a post with one of your keywords appears? E.g. you could set a trigger on all surnames in your family tree or places they lived. Such a feature is common to auction sites where you get told when something you're interested in is listed.

I know you can use your browser's feature to recall previous entries to the Search box, and I do use this, but a proper forum feature would be more user-friendly.

Can we have a Tablet version of the forum please?

Dominic - FWR

Quote Originally Posted by Neil Wilson View Post
    Can we have a Tablet version of the forum please?
    I have used the site on an ipad and mini ipad Neil, and it works great on both, which tablet are you referring to?

Thanks for all your suggestions so far everyone keep them coming!

Knowledgeable and helpful stepives's Avatar

There are approximately 100 forum/sub forum headings, not including Country & Countywide forums. Maybe there should be some serious reduction, and simplification.

Steve.

thewideeyedowl

Re: Tablet

I often access the forum and post from my iPad2. No problems at all (other than Apple wrongly second guessing what I am trying to type!).

The Wideeyed Owl

Quote Originally Posted by Dominic - FWR View Post
    I have used the site on an ipad and mini ipad Neil, and it works great on both, which tablet are you referring to?

Thanks for all your suggestions so far everyone keep them coming!
    Hi Dominic
    Its a cheap 7 inch Android. It's the size of the text on the screen the issue with me, having to zoom and slide the page left and right to be able to read it. Worst when posting

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast