mfwebb

Default Nottingham Gaol/House of Correction

My wife has an ancestor Thomas Tutbury who was sentenced at Nottingham Assizes in 1823 for stealing and sentenced to 4 months hard labour in the "House of Correction". In 1824 he was sentenced, again at Nottingham Assizes, to 7 years transportation for Grand Larceny, although he received a free pardon in 1828. He was received aboard the hulk "Ganymede" on 27 January 1824 " . . . from Nottingham Gaol". I understand from Nottinghamshire Archives that prisoners sentenced to transportation were kept at Nottingham House of Correction while arrangements for their transportation were made. I have full details of the crimes Thomas Tutbury committed from local newspaper reports, as well as full details of his transfers between prison hulks and his free pardon.

My question is -- does anyone know where the Records for Nottingham House of Correction, St John's Road (locally known as St John's Prison) are? They are not at Nottinghamshire Archives, nor are they in the Nottingham Local History section at Nottingham Library.

Many thanks,
    Malcolm Webb
    Lincoln UK

Name well known on Brit-Gen
    Happy Families
    Wendy
    Count your Blessings, they'll all add up in the end.

mfwebb

Thanks Wendy,

I already know that they are not at Nottinghamshire Archives or the Local History Library, but thanks for the heads-up on the University of Nottingham Manuscript collection. Away searching now.

Many thanks,
    Malcolm Webb
    Lincoln UK

larkspur

Best of luck finding them Malcolm. I have searched for my great great grandmothers Nottingham Gaol records. Nottingham Archives have nothing for me. She was imprisoned in 1853, due to be transported, but it never happened and she was released and back with her husband 2 years later. Her crime -murder....of her 18 month old step son.