Page 1 of 14 12311 ... LastLast

Default ISAAC HARRIS-REBECCA JACOBS MARRIAGE 1846

Nikki and my Jacobs cousins- Here are the GRO Marriage Record details for Isaac Harris and Rebekah Jacobs:
    June 24 1846 Western Synagogue St James Westminster
    ISAAC HARRIS full age bachelor BOOTMAKER 49 Duke St Lincoln Inn Fields- father- MYER HARRIS -TAILOR
    REBEKAH JACOBS full age spinster no occupation -4 Tyler St- father- LEWIS JACOBS- GLASS DEALER
    Married at the Western Synagogue according to the Rites and Ceremonies of the Jewish Religion- N Adler Dr Chief Rabbi
    Witnesses
    A H Levenstark?
    Alexander Cohen

I will post further on any data relating to Isaac and his father.
    Phillip

Nikki and others
    I have re-checked the Synagogue Will Extracts - Michael Harris NA768 and noted that one of his daughter's was Sarah who was married to Abraham David LOWENSTARK -diamond setter. Having looked more closely at the name of one of the witnesses at the marriage of Isaac Harris and Rebecca Jacobs I can see that the name is A D Lowenstark.
    I am pretty sure that Michael Harris with wife Simmy ( Simha) of Chapel Place is the father of Isaac.
    I know that Abraham Harris who Nikki said had gone to USA was not mentioned in the will but the other names do match the Harris family.

Nikki - is this a sister of Isaac? Synagogue Scribes BSWSM151- Marriage - Hodas Harris to Joseph BOAM - 4 June 1837. Hodas father - Meir- address Chapel Place Duke St Lincoln Inn Fields
    Phillip

Nikki and others
    Researching online records the address of 49 Duke Street Lincoln's Inn Fields which appears as the address of Isaac Harris on his 1846 Marriage Certificate was also that of Abraham David Loewenstark Masonic Jewellers circa 1845. The Naturalisation Papers for Abraham appear on the UK National Archives Certificate 795 - Naturalised 6 May 1848 from Cracow.
    The 1851 Census H0107 1512 17 27 (Crown Copyright,TNA) shows at 1 Devereux Court St Clement Danes
    A D Loewenstark H M 33 Working Jeweller b Austria BS
    Sarah wife 34 b Middx
    Myer son 5 b Middx
    Ezekiel son 4 b Middx
    Marcus son 1 b Middx
    1 apprentice + 1 servant

The address of 49 Duke St for Abraham and Isaac suggests that Isaac was married at the house of his sister Sarah. This data also suggests that the father of Isaac and Sarah is Michael (Myer) Harris tailor of Chapel Place.
    Phillip

nikkastar

Philip I believe that this Hodas must be the sister I know as Esther because she married Joseph Baum (their names when they were in America, very close)

nikkastar

Philip I had heard from a relative that Isaac was living as an apprentice in 1841. However this is confusing since he was a bootmaker and Abraham Loewenstark was a jeweller. Also I believe Isaac is on the census for Michael and Simha.

nikkastar

Philip, seeing this was like winning the lottery! I can't thank you enough for doing this research. The confirmation of the name of Isaac's father was always pressing to me. Now I can do more research on Myer (Michael) and Simha(known to us as Salina). God bless you and thank you so much from your "cousin" in the USA.

Nikki
    Have been looking at the Will of Michael Harris- downloaded from UK National Archives. Michael clearly mentions in the will his son Henry Harris book seller Dover, Kent; Sarah Loewenstark his daughter wife of Abraham David LoewenstarkIsaac; Esther;Barnett. The will is short and only one page approx.
    I will try and send you the copy. Let me know via Ancestry Com your private e mail.
    I will post on Henry Harris and family plus Sarah and Abraham Loewenstark.
    Phillip

nikkastar

Philip, this is a crazy thought but could Myer have been married twice. I am only saying this because there is an Old Bailey Trial of a Lewis Lewis Reale who was thought to have stolen from Myer Harris, tailor. His wife Esther Hyams Harris and her brother were witnesses. She says she was going to send her daughter to investigate. However this trial took place in 1806 and I have the youngest child of Myer Harris (also Esther) born that same year. Maybe it was a daughter Sarah she was talking about? Or maybe this is a different Myer Harris. I don't know. It's very confusing.
    The only reason think there might have been 2 marriages is on a family tree on lds.org, they list the name Salina as Myer's wife only before Isaac, his son. Maybe his siblings had a different mother?

nikkastar

Wow. Never heard of Henry. The name Sarah does come up a lot in the names of the grandchildren so it makes sense this is Isaac's sister. (I had no idea about her.) Esther was born in 1806 in my notes. Barnett is a mystery as well. Obviously Michael is Isaac's father but his sibling info is new to me. I know Isaac had a brother named Abraham. I have his immigration records and address in Ohio. I have a sister named Anne, married name Barnard, who is in the 1860 US census, but am really uncertain about her.

Default HENRY HARRIS-MARIA

Nikki
    I am trying to locate the marriage of Henry Harris son of Michael (Myer) Harris but in the meantime here are census records on Henry and his wife Maria:
    1851 HO 107 1632 513 9 (Crown Copyright,TNA) 86...gate St Dover St Mary Kent- Henry Harris H M 38 Book seller b London Middx; Maria wife 35 b London Middx; Henry Harris son 9 scholar b Kent Dover + 1 servant
    1861 Census RG9 548 122 12 ( Crown Copyright,TNA) 2 New Bridge Dover St Mary Kent- Henry Harris HM49 Book seller and stationer b London Middx;Maria wife 44 b London Middx - ( The record notes her as Blind) +2 servants
    I will post on the later census and on Abraham David Loewenstark and his wife Sarah Harris
    Phillip

Page 1 of 14 12311 ... LastLast