Page 2 of 14 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Nikki
    This is the 1871 Census for Henry Harris and family-RG10 930 43 5 (Crown Copyright,TNA)-38 John St Tonbridge Kent
    Henry Harris HM 59 Agent,Collector b Middx Marylebone;Maria wife 56 b Kent Dover-Blind;Henry jnr son M 29 Chemist unemployed b Kent,Dover;Annie Harris dau in law wife of Henry jnr 29 b Surrey,Streatham;Lillian Maria granddaughter 4 b Kent,Sandwich;Annie Islip granddaughter 3 b Kent,Sandwich;Marian granddaughter 1 b Kent,Sandwich; Margaret granddaughter 1 month b London

By 1911 Census Henry Harris jnr is living in Tunbridge Wells Kent RG14 4053 83 (Crown Copyright,TNA)- 17 Monson Rd Tunbridge Wells Kent- Henry Harris H M 69 Retired Chemist b Dover,Kent - Children born 11 -children alive 10; Annie wife 68 b Streatham,Surrey; Annie Islys? Harris dau single 40 bSandwich, Kent; Marian Harris dau single 39 b Sandwich,Kent; -1 boarder +2 visitors. House had 8 rooms
    More on the lines to follow.
    Phillip

Default ABRAHAM DAVID LOEWENSTARK-SARAH HARRIS

Nikki
    As a follow up to an earlier posting on Abraham David Loewenstark and Sarah Harris daughter of Michael ( Myer) Harris here is further data:
    1861 Census RG9 179 8 19 (Crown Copyright,TNA) - 1 Devereux Court St.Clement Danes Westminster- A D Loewenstark HM 43 Working Jeweller b Poland
    Sarah wife 43 b Middx London;Myer son 16 b Middx London;Ezekiel son 14 b Middx London; Marcus son 11 b Middx London; Selina dau 9 b Middx London; Joseph son 8 b Middx London +1 servant
    1871 Census- RG10 365 13 19 (Crown Copyright,TNA)-1 Devereux Court St.Clement Danes Westminster
    Abraham D Loewenstark HM 53 Master Manufacturing Jeweller b Cracow Free State Naturalised; Sarah wife 53 b Middx Coevent Garden;Myer Abraham son u25 Master Manufacturing Jeweller b Lincoln Inn Fields; Marcus David son u21 Master Manufacturing Jeweller b St Clement Danes; Selina dau u 19 Teacher of Music b St Clement Danes

Probate -Abraham David Loewenstark late 110 Strand Middx died 23 March 1884 at 45 Fernhead Rd St.Peters Park Middx - Probate to Sarah Loewenstark widow the relict;Marcus David Loewenstark 37 Elgin Rd St Peters Park jeweller the son. Effects £3723 8s 11d

I will complete the 1881 Census and other data.
    Phillip

Default ABRAHAM DAVID LOEWENSTARK-SARAH HARRIS

Nikki
    1881 Census for Abraham David Loewnstark ( the surnames is transcribed as LOWENSTRAK)
    RG11 335 4 4 (Crown Copyright,TNA) -210 Strand St Clement Danes Westminster- Abraham D Loewenstark HM 62 Jeweller b Poland Nat BS; Sarah wife 60 b Middx London; Selina dau u 2? b Middx London +1 servant and 1 boarder
    The Jewish Victorian . Genealogical Information from the Jewish Newspapers 1871-80 transcribed and edited by Doreen Berger, 1999 Pub Robert Boyd has entries for the death of Meyer Abraham Loewenstark eldest son of Abraham and Sarah on 27.4.1872 age 27. Marcus David Loewenstark had married Marian Samuel 3rd daughter of Mrs R Samuel of 210 Strand at the Western Synagogue on 6.4.1872. Ezekiel had died 13.9.1869 age 23 at 1 Devereux Court Essex St Strand.
    Sarah died April qtr 1890 Hendon Middx
    Phillip

nikkastar

Thanks Phillip for this info! This would put Henry's birth (about 1813) after Esther (1806).

Regards,
    Anne

Anne
    I will take a break from the Harris/Jacobs lines for the time being but let me know if you want any look ups. In the meantime, as a recap take a close look at JewishGen UK Data base - London Traders and note- Michael Harris King St Westminster Machzor 1807 - no trade given; Meyer Harris clothes salesman 7 Rosemary Lane Sun Fire Records 1819-1825 and Pigot same address 1827-1828 also known as Myer Harris; See also Abraham Harris clothes salesman 1 Rosemary Lane from 1827-1832 in Pigot;Barnet Harris button and trimmings seller 80 Drury Lane Pigot 1836.
    There are many other Harris recorded on the data base in clothing trade. Cross check also with UK National Archives Records.
    I would develop your Family Tree and add all the relevant primary sources as we have discussed in private e mail messages. Double check you have the right individuals to match the data.
    Best wishes
    Phillip

Default ABRAHAM HARRIS-HANNAH SILVERSTONE

Anne
    Take a look at the posting our distant cousin Gerry Newnham posted on Rootsweb ( Harris-OH) Abraham Harris- Cincinnati 17 Feb 2011. Gerry and I met a couple of years ago in London. He is an excellent researcher and Hannah Silverstone is his 2x great grandmother. Gerry is one of our Jacobs line- see his place in the Jacobs Family tree on our Jacobs website. Gerry refers to Bathsheba Ezekiel in Devon pre USA and asks was Hannah a sister of Abraham because she travelled with him to USA.

I also note the Harris/Levy relationships which Robert Ward has posted on during the Edward Lawrence Levy -solicitor thread. Robert's wife is related to us via the Jacobs lines. Robert has his tree on Ancestry Com.
    I believe all these families relate.
    Phillip

Ps Can I suggest you post data that you have on your lines so that Gerry/Robert and others can comment

Anne and others
    See 1850 US Federal Census -Cincinatti Hamilton Ohio ( US Archives Copyright) -Abraham Harris 31 clothing merchant;Bathsheba 31 b England;Benjamin 3 and a half b Ohio;Salina 2 b Ohio; Moses/Myer?Ezekiel 55 b England;Moses? Ezekiel 15 b England; Benjamin Ezekiel 23 Clothing Merchant b England

Then see 1841 British Census HO 107 255 11 7 6 ( Crown Copyright,TNA)- Gold Street Tiverton Devon - Florence Ezekiel 45 Pawnbroker b in county No not born England, Scotland yes;Bathsheba Ezekiel 20 b in county Yes; Matilda Ezekiel 20 b in county Yes; Benjamin Ezekiel 13 b in county Yes;Henry Ezekiel 11 b in county Yes;Rebecca Ezekiel 9 b in county Yes;Ezekiel Ezekiel 7 b in county Yes;Florence Ezekiel 5 b in county Yes

Then also see the Synagogue Scribes will extracts for Ezekiel surname- all in Devon
    Anne you have already put the US Census data on your family tree but it would be a great help if you posted data from the letters etc you hold on the lines because these are invaluable primary sources which could help other Jacobs and related lines.
    Phillip

Default FLORENCE EZEKIEL-ABRAHAM HARRIS SON IN LAW

Anne
    Here is more confirmation on the Harris/Ezekiel lines:
    Death 27.4.1868 FLORENCE EZEKIEL age 73 at the residence of her son in law ABRAHAM HARRIS, Cincinatti,US relict of BENJAMIN EZEKIEL, formerly of Tiverton, Devon

Source: The Jewish Victorian: Genealogical Information from the Jewish Newsapers 1861-70 transcribed and edited by Doreen Berger,2004 Pub Robert Boyd
    Phillip

nikkastar

Phillip thank you so much for everything. I have added Isaac Harris' brothers and sister that I did not know about on my family tree. I have also added documents for the ones I did know about. I will continue to look at records for the family and let you know if I have discovered anything new. I would never have solved the mystery of our Levy-Jacobs family connection without you. You are AMAZING!!!!!!!! Best wishes from your distant cousin in NY- Anne

nikkastar

Florence must have been Bathsheba's ( Abraham's wife) mother. Thank you for this! Anne

Page 2 of 14 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast