Page 14 of 14 FirstFirst ... 4121314
    nikkastar

Hi, Philip! I have just discovered that Simha (mother of Isaac Harris) was born Dov Ber HaLevi. I was communicating with someone from synogogue scribes who gave me this info. She said that Dov Ber might stand for Barnett and HaLevi could be Levy. This would not be surprising since Simha had a son Barnett and we have other Levy family connections. Could you please steer me in the right direction to research if Simha was a Levy? I don't know where to go from here. Thank you so much.
    Anne

Hi Anne
    If you look on Synagogue Scribes Advanced Search facility using Dov and Simha for father's Hebrew name you will see Saul Harris father Simha Isaac HaLevi and Betsy Harris same father's name. You also have Joseph Levy marriage 1815 father's Hebrew name Dov(Ber); Simha Ha Levi GSMEM 072 R70 Before 1756.

I can't see any Levy beyond Joseph Levy associated with the patronymic name- still looking.
    Phillip

nikkastar

Thank you for helping me Philip. That is so interesting. I will look on that website. Am I reading your post right that Simha's father could also be named Simha? I didn't realize that it could be both a girl's name and a boy's name. Wow! I will continue researching based on what you found. Thanks again sooooo much!
    Anne

nikkastar

Philip, one more thing. I think I might have found a brother to Michael Harris. Michael (Myer) Harris had an insurance policy for 7 Rosemary Lane (clothes salesman) from 1819-1824 and passed it on to an Isaac Harris in 1825. Michael's son, Isaac, would have been a baby so maybe this Isaac is his brother? Also a Sam Levy was right next door or across the street at 6 Rosemary Lane. I wonder if Sam Levy is any relation To Michael's wife, Simha (Simmy). It could make for a great story, don't you think? LOL It might be just a coincidence.

I can see from The Morning Chronicle Monday 5 February 1821 ( see also The London Gazette) that Samuel Levy 6 Rosemary Lane slopseller was a bankrupt and was insured ( see JewishGen UK Database Insurance Records London that he was insured between 1811-1825 at that address. By 1833 Abraham Isaacs aka Backruck was at 5 and 6 Rosemary Lane clothes salesman and in 1841 John Jacob Hart aka John Hart clothes salesman, tailor, renovator of old clothes was at 7 Rosemary Lane ( not sure if he is my 3x great grandfather who in 1838 was at 319 Strand -tailor).

Not sure also if the Samuel Levy of Rosemary Lane in co-partnership with Michael Levy of Chapel Street Sheerness and George Cowen of Mansel Street Goodmans Fields slopsellers, dealers and chapmen is the same Samuel of 6 Rosemary Lane.

Still working out relationships.
    Phillip

nikkastar

Dear Phillip,

I just found a family tree for Milcah Jacobs (nee Levy) but I am not sure if I should put some of the details in my tree.
    In this particular tree she is listed as Milcah Sara Levy and her parents are Jacob Levy and Elizabeth Jonas. I don't know if this is indeed Elizabeth's maiden name. The tree belongs to the Brewster/Jacobs family on ancestry.com. I was wondering if you could take a look also and let me know if you think the details are correct. I have seen a will index for Philip Jacobs where he is leaving something to his son Lewis and his daughter-in-law, Milcah Sara. Please let me know what you think. Thank you so much.

Nikki
    Take a look at the thread "Lewis and Milcah Jacobs ( David Jacobs line)" posts started 2011. You will see from the posts that Elizabeth Levy mother of Milcah left a bequest in her 1847 will to Milcah. I also posted data on Jacob Levy father of Milcah.There is also data on the lines on the Jacobstree website but I discovered more information hence my 2011 posts.
    Will re-read my records and post any relevant data. Hope this helps.
    Phillip

nikkastar

Dear Phillip, it's been a long time. Hope all is well with you. I have just found a biography of my great-grandfather Berney Harris from a book from the Freemasons of Missouri. In it, it also tells about his father, Isaac coming to America. It mentions Isaac starting out as a shoemaker in NY and then going to Ohio to join his brother in the clothing business. I know you were curious about Abraham Harris, Issac's brother. So I was wondering if you wanted a copy of this biography. If you do, just email me at [email protected] and I will send it to you. Best regards, Anne

Hi Anne
    Good to hear from you. I have sent you a private e mail. In the meantime, here are some Jewish Chronicle Archives on Harris/Levy which may or may not be relevant to your lines. Let me know if they are relevant.

Names of Pensioners and when Elected
    Isaac Harris Nov 1841- Jewish Chronicle May 14 1847- he is not going to be your Isaac Harris given his possible age as a Pensioner but maybe worth noting.

Elizabeth LEVY candidate for the late Solomon Arnold's Esq Marriage Gift
    The applicant is a the daughter of the late Alexander Levy a member for many years of the New Synagogue, who has but lately died, leaving a widow, second wife, with eight children totally unprovided for, the above named girl lost her mother ( who was a sister of Abraham HARRIS) at the time when the Cholera raged in London a few years back. She, having no parents is strongly recommended for your support.
    Lewis LUCAS; Philip SALAMONS; Asher SAMSON; Philip PHILLIPS; Moses LYONS; Abraham HARRIS
    Jewish Chronicle Oct 27 1848

This might be Alexander Levy tailor who in 1841 Census is living at John Street Whitechapel - his wives might be 2 sisters Leah and Mary Harris

Death- On Sunday 10th inst. at 62 Precott Street Goodmans'fields Isabella the wife of Abraham HARRIS esq of Sydney Cottage, Southampton Street Camberwell aged 79- August 15 1856

Death- On the 3 Jan at Nieszwa in his 104th year HIRSCH THORNSKI the dearly beloved father of Michael HARRIS 72 Commercial Street Spitalfields - JC 12 Jan 1883

Phillip

Anne
    Another possible Harris reference:
    Marriage -Portions of the late Mr S Arnold. A report having been most unjustly circulated that Ann HARRIS granddaughter of the late MYER HARRIS has declined to be a candidate for the marriage portion gift of the late Mr S Arnold to the daughters of memebers of the New Synagogue. We are urgently requested to give the said report the most unqualified contradiction. Jewish Chronicle Oct 28, 1853

Phillip

Page 14 of 14 FirstFirst ... 4121314