barratay

Default Daniel Harding marriage Jane Barrett/Barnett

Can anyone help with a lookup on this entry please ?

Around 1848 or so in the London, England, Marriages and Banns, 1754-1921 index on Ancestry there is a Daniel Harding married Jane Barnett, I think this should be Barrett, and Daniel's father is Abraham Harding.

I would love to know any details re this marriage.

My Daniel Harding, son of Abraham, married Jane Barrett/Barratt and emigrated to Melbourne, Australia, I'm pretty sure they were cabin passengers on the ship Lochnagar from London 7Aug1849, or Plymouth 17Aug1849, and in Melbourne they had 3 children starting in 1850, 2 died young but a daughter Esther had a very large family. Jane sadly died in 1855. Thanks for any help ... Wayne

pennydog

Daniel Harding - carpenter, son of Abraham Harding - Miller, married 2/8/1849 at St Michael, Cornhill, City of London.

His bride was Jane, she appears to have signed with 'Barnett' (no X for her mark), which is the name entered by the officiating rector - no father named. Both are of full age and give their place of residence as H Fagans, Near Cardiff, Wales.

The marriage was by Licence.

The witnessnes are Thomas Thomas and Sarah Sheard (Sarah is also a witness on two other marriages on the same image)

barratay

Default Daniel Harding

Wow .. thank you .. that's him, his father was a miller .. Jane is a mystery though ... thanks again, Wayne

Name well known on Brit-Gen

You need to try and get a copy of the Marriage Licence not sure where you would obtain a ciopy form the London area I live & research 'up north'!

Hopefully someoneon the forum can advise you

barratay

Default Daniel Harding marriage Jane Barnett

Thank you .. it's great news and someone has kindly sent me the marriage certificate.
    Thanks again, Wayne

Knowledgeable and helpful

It may be a typo, but the H Fagan near Cardiff is probably meant to be St Fagan. It is the location of an important museum of Welsh Life. pwholt

Quote Originally Posted by pennydog View Post
    Both are of full age and give their place of residence as H Fagans, Near Cardiff, Wales.
    It actually says St.Fagan's. Admittedly it does look like an H, but does say St. when you look closely. I have local knowledge on my side, as I can practically see St.Fagans from my window
    Sue Mackay
    Insanity is hereditary - you get it from your kids

pennydog

Quote Originally Posted by Sue Mackay View Post
    It actually says St.Fagan's. Admittedly it does look like an H, but does say St. when you look closely. I have local knowledge on my side, as I can practically see St.Fagans from my window
    Pardon my London ignorance - have only ever been to Rhyl!

Thanks for clearing it up for barratay

1841 census: Class: HO107; Piece: 1417; Book: 7; Civil Parish: St Fagan; County: Glamorgan; Enumeration District: 17; Folio: 7; Page: 8; Line: 12 (original TNA Crown copyright)
    Mill House
    Abraham Harding 65 Mealman Not born in County
    Hesther Harding 62 Not born in County
    John Harding 13 Not born in County

1851 census: Class: HO107; Piece: 2455; Folio: 645; Page: 5
    Mill Cottage, St.Fagans
    Abraham Harding 89 Meal Man Master born Somerset, Bedminster
    (next page)
    Esther wife 78 Miller's wife born Glos ?Bitten?
    Lidia Locke 11 g'dau born Glamorgan ?Swansea?

Next family (at Mill House) is family of Joseph Harding 38 born Llansannor, Glamorgan

ETA: Daniel and his sister Esther, children of Abraham and Esther Harding, miller, were baptised in St.Fagan's, Glamorgan on 14th April 1818
    Last edited by Sue Mackay; 10-05-2013 at 1:22 PM. Reason: Additional info
    Sue Mackay
    Insanity is hereditary - you get it from your kids

barratay

Default Daniel Harding marriage Jane Barnett

Thank you too Sue, actually it was his younger brother Daniel, the first one, that was baptised 14 April 1819 and buried 5 days later at St Fagans. This Daniel, the second one in the family was baptised in 1822. You will probably know of Bob Sanders at St Fagans who has very kindly given me a lot of his time and a huge amount of info on Abraham Harding the miller at St Fagans and Esther and their descendants .. finding that Daniel had run off to London to get married and then sailed off with his new wife to a new life 5 days later was a stroke of luck .. He settled in Geelong here then set up an ironmonger and wheelwright shop in Coburg near Melborne .. it's amazing the many connections we can make now. His daughter Esther had 9 children and many of them had large families so there are a lot of descendants. Thanks again and best wishes, Wayne