teecee3467

Default Passport application 1947

hello, I am searching for information on my cousin, Timothy O'Connell born 1917, Kerry, Ireland. I lose sight of him after 1930, when his parents die. And find him again in May 1947, leaving Southampton to USA. My question is, Would there be useful information on the Passport application that might fill in the years between 1930-1947. He is described as a British citizen, born Kerry on the passenger list. Or are there other records that would provide more detail of his life. How does one born in Ireland become a British citizen? Any help appreciated,

Brick wall demolition expert!

When he was born Ireland was still part of the UK. Eire (southern Ireland) did not become an independent state until 1922.

I don't know exactly what arrangements were in place regarding citizenship, but Irish citizens were always able to live and work in the UK long before the days of European Union.

His last home address (on the shipping list) was in Kilburn, which was an area where you would find lots of Irish people. Using that address you might be able to find him (or his parents) in Ancestry's "London, England, Electoral Registers, 1832-1965".

Knowledgeable and helpful

Until Ireland became an independent country in 1922, it was part of the United Kingdom and all it’s citizens were British for nationality and passport purposes. So anyone born in Kerry in 1917 would simply have been British by birth. There was no such thing as Irish citizenship before 1.1.1922. From that date onwards, until Ireland left the British Commonwealth on 1.1.1949, persons born in Ireland were still entitled to claim British citizenship (as well as being citizens of the Irish Free State, as it was then known) and could therefore travel on either a British passport or an Irish one, as they preferred. (Or they could have both, if it suited them. Neither country has ever had restrictions on dual citizenship)

In practice a lot chose to use a British Passport because there were fewer visa restrictions. For example there were periods when persons holding Irish Free State passports required a visa for the USA, but British passport holders did not.

Most British passport application forms for the period you are interested in have been destroyed. See:

https://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/r...WT.Ip=rg-22875
    ELWYN

teecee3467

Elwyn, thank you and everyone for your help. I thought I would update you on my quest. Your suggestion to check the National archives was spot on. Timothy's passport app. had been destroyed, but they had 2 cards, with information. One had his last residence in England, and one had his last residence in Ireland. Just what i was looking for! But, of course, a sad story is unfolding. It appears Timothy and brother John at age 11 and 13 (1930) were sent to St. Joseph's Industrial School in Tralee, while the two younger siblings were sent to America to be raised with family. I googled the Industrial school and was horrified at the dreadful stories just coming out about the abuse. Poor boys, i dont know and maybe dont want to know what they endured. But it explained how Timothy learned carpentry, and his brother leatherworking.
    This site is the best I have ever seen, for actually seeking to help, and I truely wish you had an American counterpart that helped as much.
    thanks!