RobinC

Default Accessing workhouse records on Ancestry

I want to access some workhouse records on Ancestry but can't seem to work out which collection of files they come under.

Brick wall demolition expert!

Robin
    My guess is that they come under the "Tax, Criminal, Land and Wills" heading. I don't think that they have many work house records - most of these are held locally. However, I did see "London, England, Selected Poor Law Removal and Settlement Records, 1828-1930".

Reputation beyond repute

The main database is called "London, England, Poor Law and Board of Guardian Records, 1430-1930"

RobinC

I'm trying to find anyything to do with the following people who were in the Southwark area during the 1820s:

Sarah Tucker (birth unknown) widow of Thomas Tucker (died December 1825)
    Sarah Tucker (born September 1818, baptised 9th April 1820)
    Ann Tucker (born 15th Oct 1823, baptised 3rd Oct 1824)
    Jane Tucker (baptised 29th May 1822)

All baptisms were at St George the Martyr, Southwark.

Reputation beyond repute

Old Poor Law?

It might be as well to check the catalogue first to see what's survived.

RobinC

I don't understand the catalogue or what records I should be looking for.

Brick wall demolition expert!

Just to be "ultra logical" I have just found that Ancestry have some Dorset poor law records with the "Schools, Directories & Church Histories Records"

thewideeyedowl

Though I cannot answer the question as asked (accessing workhouse records on Ancestry), I'd suggest that you take a look at this excellent site, which is all about workhouses: https://www.workhouses.org.uk. Navigate to 'Records and Resources' in the left-hand menu column and you will find a lot of info about what can be found where - on subscription sites (apparently Ancestry is strong on London), in local records, on CDs, and so on. Something there might be a good starting point.

The site is researched and run by Peter Higgenbotham, who seems to be the leading expert on workhouses and has written numerous books on the subject. (I am only just starting to investigate workhouses and how forebears might have been involved, so am still 'getting to know the landscape', hence 'seems' in the above sentence.)

Hope this might help with your researches.

The Wideeyed Owl