benanne

Default Letter of Administration on Navy Service Rec

Hello,
    I am researching my great great grandfather George Horatio Weeks 1844 - 1903 - i have his navy service record which says there is a letter of administration granted to a person. after his death. I can't work out what this means did he die without a will? Did the RN administer the estate?

I can't see how to attach the copy of the document to this post - any tips?

jac65

Hi

According to the National Probate Calendar George Horatio Weeks of 44 Maidstone Road, Rochester died 20th October 1903 and Administration (with will) was granted 14th Jan 1905 to Franklin George Hornan, house-furnisher Effects 259 GBP 9s 7d

Administration (with will) usually means that there was a will but the named executors are either deceased or have declined to act in that position. That means that someone else (in this case Franklin George Hornan) needs to apply for the authority to handle the estate left by George Horatio Weeks. The fact that the navy has a copy of the Administration suggests that some of the Estate may have involved some sort of payment from them and they needed documentary proof that someone could legally act on behalf of the Estate.

Andy

benanne

Thanks so much, that's just what I wanted!!