Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    tisme

Default Scottish ancestry .... sooo difficult.

I am looking for parents of Jane Moor, b 1794 (approx) who married Alexander Burnside in 1818 - they are my 3rd great-grandparents.

Their daughter, Jane Urrie Burnside b. 1819 d. 1870, is my 2nd great grandmother. I am also looking for the name URRIE in order to further locate ancestry of this side of my family. Any suggestions?

I have searched Scotland's People site and found a total of 8 Urrie marriages in the time period 1538-1854 but have no idea whether any of them are connected to Jane Urrie Burnside. How do I make that connection?

Judith

Brick wall demolition expert!

Perhaps not sooo

The LDS has this

Jean More
    Christening Date: 18 Dec 1800
    Christening Place: HIGH CHURCH,PAISLEY,RENFREW,SCOTLAND
    Birth Date: 12 Jun 1800
    Father's Name: Thomas More
    Mother's Name: Jean Urie
    Batch: C11573-2

https://familysearch.org/search

Davran

As you're probably aware, Jean and Jane are interchangeable in Scottish ancestry.

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Hi Judith - My Great Grandmother was Helen Burnside Paterson. Her father was John Paterson and her Mother Jane Urrie Burnside. Jane's parents were Alexander Burnside and Jane More or Moor. Helen had many siblings so I am guessing you descended from one of them. So you have made a connection with a cousin in Australia. We are coming to Scotland on holidays in September so I hope you get this message soon. I have lots of information on the Paterson/Burnside family. Helen Burnside Paterson married a Thomas Burns and they moved to Portadown in Ireland where my Grandfather Thomas Burns was born. He migrated to Australia in 1912 and married Laura May Heard. They had four children and there are seven cousins, six still alive, including me, in Australia. I am the only one doing family history research. Anyway I hope you read this soon and we can compare notes. I found a record of the birth of one Alexander Burnside son of Alexander Burnside and Jean more on 2 April 1825.

Cheers Helen

Judith, it's much easier to help if there's a little more info to confirm that the right individuals have been found. Where did this all happen? Do you know what he did?

You may not be aware that variation in name spelling was almost a national sport in Scotland in the 19th century and before. Basically, you spoke your name to the clerk and he wrote what he heard... I treasure a baptismal entry where the son, father and grandfather are all named, with their surnames spelled differently in the single entry! The more common name of Urrie is Urie (as shown in message 2) after the place of that name, but there are others.

There's a collection of how-to/where-to posts at the top of the General Scottish forum HERE.

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Lesley - in response to your moderator message - firstly my name is 'Helen' - not Judith. Judith is the lady who I was responding to who put a post up in 2012 looking for the parents of Jane More (or Moor) who married Alexander Burnside. Judith has the same Great X 3 Grandparents as me. I was trying to track her down as I am going to Scotland in September. I have all the relevant documents, birth, death and marriage certificates and Census forms so I know they are the correct people and I have details of their occupations. Scotlands People spells 'Urrie' and Urrie.

Thanks for the information on General Scottish forum. I'll have a look.

I only hope that Judith gets in touch with me before I leave for Scotland in September.

Thanks again Lesley for your information.

Helen

I was actually answering Judith in post 1 without noticing the date!

I see from her membership profile that she was last here in May 2015. If her email address is still the one she joined with, she should get a message that her thread has new posts...
    I think that you'll find that Scotlands People uses the name spelling given in the original document, but will check known variations if you select that option. Murphy's Law demands that they sometimes haven't included the one variation that's needed!

BTW The Mods are labelled so that people know who to contact if they want something edited or have a question (not a research query), but our messages normally have just the same status as those of other members!

tisme

Hello Helen. I'm Judy!! Thank you so much for contacting me with the information; absolutely brilliant. Could I give you my personal email address for any future sharing of information. It is: judith.hunt36 {at} btinternet.com. I was so surprised to see your post; I thought the whole 'thing' had died!! When are you holidaying in Scotland, and where? I only ask because my sister and I will be visiting Scottish relatives either in September or October. I'll look forward to hearing from you via my email. 'Speak soon'. Judy
    Last edited by Lesley Robertson; 28-07-2017 at 4:10 PM. Reason: email address deactivated - replace {at} with @

tisme

..... and just worked out that my great grandmother - Elizabeth Greig Paterson b. 4 Aug 1845 in 238 Crookston Street, Glasgow. d 4 Jul 1899, is your great grandmother's sister!

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Hi Judy - just in case anything goes wrong, my email address is nelliemaggie47ATgmailDOTcom. I've sent an email to you at judith.hunt36ATbtinternetDOTcom. Hope to hear from you soon. Our Great Grannies Elizabeth and Helen were determined we would make contact!! Love from your cousin Helen
    Last edited by christanel; 08-11-2017 at 9:09 PM. Reason: email addresses disguised to deter spam

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast