Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Brock

Default The Windmill Inn pub, Old Mill Street, Dudley

Whilst researching my family tree I recently discovered that James Harvey & his wife Mary
    Harvey, formerly Mary Breeze Ward, were publicans & their 1881 census entry shows them as
    being the licensees of the Windmill Inn pub in Old Mill Lane in Dudley.
    If anyone can shed any light with any further details about their time as publicans or can tell me
    anything about the Windmill Inn pub in Dudley I would be very grateful please.
    Thank you.

Brock

Quote Originally Posted by Brock View Post
    Whilst researching my family tree I recently discovered that James Harvey & his wife Mary
    Harvey, formerly Mary Breeze Ward, were publicans & their 1881 census entry shows them as
    being the licensees of the Windmill Inn pub in Old Mill Lane in Dudley.
    If anyone can shed any light with any further details about their time as publicans or can tell me
    anything about the Windmill Inn pub in Dudley I would be very grateful please.
    Thank you.
    I posted this query earlier asking for help re. The Windmill Inn pub on Old Mill Street which I discovered was the pub that some ancestors ran as shown in their 1881 census entry in Dudley. I have just been browsing the internet in the hope of finding something which may have helped me to learn more about the pub when I came across an up to date entry for a pub named The Old Mill Inn in Windmill Street in Dudley. I can't help but wonder if there might be a connection? Obviously, the name of the pub & the street name are in reverse of the 1881 census entry which I found for my ancestors but with both names being the same it seems rather too much of a coincidence. Perhaps the old street may have been razed to the ground & when re-developed called by the new name? Of course, I realise that I may be just wishful thinking but just felt compelled to ask if anyone can shed any light on this cos the coincidence seems so great. If you can help me at all I would be very grateful please.

Thank you.

old maps https://www.old-maps.co.uk/index.html

click on link, enter coordinates 394125 290090
    when all maps loaded, click on 1883 Town Plans
    when loaded, click on main window to "zoom" - Windmill marked on map.

To relate to modern map, click on "Go" against coordinates to return modern map to main window. This is the equivalent location today to the 1883 location - a lot has changed!

On the 1881 Census, "Inhedge" follows "Old Mill Street" on the Census sheets

Historical Directories https://www.historicaldirectories.org/hd/findbykeyword

You can check out the search keys "Windmill", "Old Mill Street" at the above link. I found James in the Post Office Directory for 1876 using "harvey james" - he's not at the Windmill or Old Mill Street

Brock

Helachau, thank you so much for this help. It's given me a much clearer idea of where my ancestors used to live.

Brock,
    On reflection, the area hasn't changed all that much!!

Brock

Helachau, I've just had to come back to you once again to say a very big thank you to you for informing me about the site to look at the old maps. The old Dudley map was just great to see & it has taught me that I had so many ancestors who lived in the neighbouring roads ~ they were a big family with many offspring & they all seemed to stay put in the same area all living in the neighbouring streets throughout their entire lives.
    Thank you so much.

Valued member of Brit-Gen

Have looked at Hitchmough’s Black country Pubs, which is far from complete but useful, and this gives the following info:

1881 James Harvey Windmill , 10 Stafford St (Old mill St) (another landlord is listed in 1880)
    1884 Mrs Mary Harvey is now landlady of the Windmill (another landlord is there in 1888)
    The earliest date given in the list of landlords was 1777, and the last listed (not necessarily the last) was in 1955.
    In a sale notice of 1872 it was weekly brewing 260 gallons of beer
    A Mrs Mary Harvey is also listed in 1873 at the Freebodies , 69 St John’s Road, Kates hill, Dudley

Birmingham Daily Post, 8 June 1882
    LICENSE TRANSFERS -
    "The following transfers were made at the Police Court on Tuesday:- Alehouses ......; the Old Windmill Inn, Lower Stafford Street, to Mary Bradshaw;......"

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast