Cynlynian

Default Solomon/s family london 18thC

Hi
    looking for anyone who has researched their SOLOMON/S line back into the 18thC

I have Judith SOLOMONS b C Sept 1786, Horeton (?), Middlesex. Her father's patronym was Aryeh Yehuda.

Perhaps there are siblings, so would be interested if you have someone on your tree born about this date. I have another SOLOMONS on my tree, Phoebe b c1778 in London, m Myer METZ - perhaps they were related?

I imagine both are Ashkenazi.

cheers

Cynthia
    (New Zealand)

NATHAN, HART, SOLOMONS, LEVY, ISAACS,VANDERLYN, BARNARD et al

Cynthia and others
    See Synagogue Scribes site for the Marriages of: Judith SOLOMONS GSM 110/49 - 2 Sept 1807 - father's Hebrew name Aryeh Yehuda to Barnet NATHAN
    See also- same site Marriage of Phebe SOLOMON ( no 's' at end of surname) GSM 163/37 -father's Hebrew name Jacob to Myer Joseph METZ -father's Hebrew name Joseh Metz
    These are Ashkenazi marriages at the Great Synagogue

I also note on Ancestry Com family trees ( I see you have your tree on this site Cynthia) 2 different years for the death of Myer Metz- some trees give 1849 and others 1827

Cynthia, you might wish to add more data on your lines so that other researchers can better identify potential links.
    Phillip

Cynlynian

>See Synagogue Scribes site for the Marriages of: Judith SOLOMONS GSM 110/49 - 2 Sept 1807 - father's Hebrew name Aryeh >Yehuda to Barnet NATHAN
    >See also- same site Marriage of Phebe SOLOMON ( no 's' at end of surname) GSM 163/37 -father's Hebrew name Jacob to Myer >Joseph METZ -father's Hebrew name Joseh Metz

Yes, thanks. SS and CS are my information source for one of Judith's identity records. Another has her last name without the 'S'. I realise Phoebe SOLOMON is a (slightly) different form of the last name, but as the family of Phoebe and Judith are late linked by marriage, perhaps there have been previous links within their generation too. I am awaiting verification of Judith's identity from a third source (snail mail from UK) before I pass on more information.

I am mainly looking for someone who has gone further back on this line especially with the patronym given in the marriage record, as I haven't seen many others who have SOLOMON/S. I realise the patronym could translate several different ways, and that Judith's father may have been known by a completely different first name in the secular record.

I was surprised you have been able to see my tree on-line as I had marked it private. It is only a draft tree as I do all my workings on another offline tree. Perhaps I should remove it as it probably (almost certainly) has errors. For the record I have Myer/Mier METZ death as 1849 but up until recently hadn't worried about his record as he was the father-in-law by marriage of a HART family member.
    cheers
    Cynthia (NZ)

Starting to feel at home

Hi Cynthia,

Jewish Gen has a tree for Solomon/s, relating to the ancestors of celebrity chef Nigella Lawson, which goes back to Asher Solomon born abt 1758, Whitechapel London, and his wife Rebecca (surname unknown) born about 1779 London. They had children named Abigail b. 1789, Emanuel b. 1790, Aaron b. 1792, Nathaiel b. 1800 and Moses b.1803. Nigella is descended from Aaron Solomon and his first wife.

Deeny

HART,D

Hi Guys,

I am still searching for a Jonas Solomon(s) supposedly from London born c. 1735, believed to be a relative of Nathan Solomon(s) and a cousin of Levy Hart born c. 1735, and Aaron Hart all from Whitechapel/St. Mary Axe. Jonas Solomon(s) and Levy Hart came to New York, in America together in 1755.

Should you come across any of these folks, please let me know.

I have hit the wall on Jonas and Levy, but still holding out hope...

Thanks,

Doug

Doug
    Looking at the various messages on a range of sites I note that Jonas's surname is Solomon/Solomons/Soloman. In addition, in A Guide Book to Jewish Genealogies, D Rottenberg,1986 Genealogical Pub Com there is reference to the wide range of surname derivations linked to the Solomon surname with links to other families including Hart and Levy. These family origins were Germany and Holland among other countries. I wonder if you shouldn't be looking for Jonas under Soloman/s etc to widen the chances of your finding his roots- I suspect that Jonas's roots are Dutch/German.
    Phillip

HART,D

Thanks Phillip,

Don't want to hijack the thread, so I'll be quick. I will definitely check that reference. My DNA haplogroup is I2b1c, which has it's major concentration in Germany eastward to the Ukraine, it also has the "Jewish cluster of 14,15,16,16 in the 464 series alleles which ties in to my paper trail. My roots are definitely from that area. I have had no matches in any DNA database since I put it out there in 2007. I 'll expand the search and see what I find.

Thanks!
    Doug