Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Mortlake, London (where the Boat Race ends)

Default HUNGERFORD Family from Cork

My cousin and I are digging for Hungerfords from Cork - which is proving to be a somewhat frustrating and long-winded exercise!

A lot of our Hungerfords seem to have the name Winspeare and/or Toye as either first or middle names. We know where the Toye originated - but not the Winspeare...

In particular, we are looking for Walter Hastings Conbour Hungerford, who was the son of one of the many Winspeare Hungerfords. Walter was born in Cork in 1876. By 1901 he was living in Croydon, Surrey and was married to Christina Beckton. They had five children (we think) Isabella (born Croydon 1901), Doris (born Lewisham 1905), Patrick (born Lewisham 1907 and died Bromley 1907), Francis (born Bromley 1909) and Anna (born Bromley 1911). Christina then died and Walter married Clara Norris, we think, in Dublin c.1912. We are unsure what happened to the four children as they did not live with Walter and Clara who then had a further two children, Walter (born 1912 - my cousin's grandfather) and Cecil (1914). WHCH apparently died in WW1 - but again he's proving elusive and doesn't appear on any of the records.

If any of this sounds familiar to anyone, we'd love to hear from you!

Mortlake, London (where the Boat Race ends)

Arrow HUNGERFORD update

Since posting this thread, we've found out more!

We now know that Walter Hastings Conbour (Cavour) HUNGERFORD didn't die in 1917 in France or anywhere else!

He died in Hammersmith in 1945, having married Hilda Mary CLARKE in 1914 in Steyning (they were divorced in 1917) and then Mary F BROADBENT in 1923 in Fulham.

If this sounds vaguely familiar to you, we'd love to hear from you.