Pinky

Default just starting out

I live in the Falkland Islands have done since December 1982. It's a long story! Anyway just before my father passed away reasonably unexpectedly we had been colaberating on the family Tree. he would come visit each Christmas and we would sit and sort a little more un-fortunatly we did not get as much done as we would have liked to. Though he had sorted through a lot of the photographs and put information on to the back of a lot of them. I have dabbled on and off since then when finding additions gets hard I leave it for a while and then go back. hopping some more info has turned up. My nice has started on this branch as well but I think her enthusiasm has run away with her as one relative had about 20 children listed! So I have decided to delve in again and carry on with my slow methodical plodding and hopping that the registration offices are all as helpful as the Swindon one who saved me fees for two birth certs with non matching parents.
    Excuse the spelling I'm dyslexic and the spell checker does not seem to want to correct only point out the mistakes

Colin Rowledge

Hello Pinky and welcome. I believe [but others may correct me] that you are our 1st member from the Falkland Islands. It is sad when a loved one is compiling data and passes away before compiling it all. I was in the same boat.

Don't worry about the spelling and other such things. We aren't that picky. Just as long as the message is clear, the members will assist you.

Good luck

Colin

Pinky

Thanks for the warm welcome colin
    funny really as a part of my family moved out to Canada and live in Ontario! That's another sad story as my grandmothers half brothers and sisters went there but she stayed behind. We never knew of them until my grandmother died and my parents sorted through her stuff and found all the letters she never told them she had married. there were some skelintons in that closet on both sides of the atlantic though we did find out we were related to a polatician!

Pinky

CanadianCousin

My family moved to Canada in the mid-1950's and always believed that we were the first 'of our line' to have done so. About 10 or 12 years ago, when I was still relatively new to family history, I discovered that my great-grandfathers first cousin (2xg-grandfather's nephew) had emigrated here in the 1890's. And subsequently I've been in contact with at least a dozen third and fourth cousins who are descendants of that first immigrant. It's one of the rewards of this hobby/obsession.

Welcome to the forum, BTW - they (we?) are a lovely and helpful bunch, in addition to being extremely knowledgable.

Tim