knoxru

Default Carr Famiily New Zealand

I am trying to trace the descendents of Patience Carr (maiden name Downing) and her husband Alexander Carr, Patience was my grandma's cousin.

Alexander & Patience had 5 children and here is what I know so far, does anyone have access to the CD on births and marriages in NZ or is there anyone on-line in NZ who can look up the births and marriages at their local library on microfiche?

Patience Downing girl born 22/12/1891 11:30pm Fir Vale Harthill Sheffield - daughter of Annie Downing formally Newbury and George Downing a Collier Annie is Informant registered 13/02/1891

Marriage at the Register Office in the district of St Pancras in the County of London. 05/05/1917 Alexander Carr Age 28 Fireman Merchant Service of 10 Swinton Street London father John Carr Boiler Maker. Patience Downing age 22 Spinster of no occupation of 10 Swinton Street London father George Downing Coal Miner married by License William J Carr Witness

Patience Carr, Married, died 20/08/1929, Wellington Hospital from 32 York Street, Moera. Married age 33, died from acute lobular pneumonia, father George Downing, Miner, mother Annie, cremated 23/08/1929, born Yorkshire, England, in New Zealand 8 years, married London, England age 21 to Alexander Carr, 3 boys living age 9, 4 & 2 and 1 girl age 7 months, Undertaker was the informant, signed 22/08/1929.

New Zealand 1928 Wellington North Electoral Roll -
    Alexander Carr, 121 Thorndon Quay, Labourer
    Patience Care, 121 Thorndon Quay, Married

New Zealand Evening Post 21/08/1929 - Carr - On the 29th August, at Wellington, Patience, Dearly beloved wife of Alexander Carr, of 32 York Street, Moera, Lower Hutt, age 33 years, Deeply regretted.

New Zealand Evening Post 20/08/1935 - Carr - In Loving memory of Patience Carr, who passed awat 20th August 1929. To Memory Ever Dear. Inserted by her loving husband & children.

Wellington Evening Post - 17/11/1933, Injured by Crane, While employed in discharging a cargo of flax bales from the Wainui at No1 shed, Queens Wharf, Alexander Carr, an employee of the Union Steam Ship Company, was struck on the back by the ball of a crane at 11:50 this morning. The injured man is a widower, aged 46, and resided at 14 Abel Smith Street. He was removed to the hospital by the Free Ambulance. The extent of his injuries has not yet been ascertained.

Alexander Carr, died 23/02/1964, Waikato Public Hospital, Hamilton, New Zealand, a waterside worker (ex-serviceman) of Tawa Street, Rotowaro, male age 74, died from Bronco-pneumonia 3 days and cancer of Oesphagus 1 year, certified by D.C Williams last saw him alive 19/02/1964. Name of parents, John Carr and Elizabeth Carr formally Wilson,father was a seaman.Cremated at Newstead 25/02/1964, born Dunedin, New Zealand, life long resident. Married London England at age 28 to Patience Downing, Alexander a widower, 5 children aged Male 43, 38 & 35 and female age 41 and 33. Informant R.H Morgan, Authorized in writing by funeral director, Hamilton, signed 25/02/1964 by registrar.

Wellington Evening Post - 09/09/1944 - Engagements - The engagement is announced of Millie Rache James, daughter of Mr James and the late Mrs James, Ohiro Bay, to Alexander William Carr, son of Mr Carr and the late Mrs Carr, Wellington.

I would be very grateful if anyone can help with finding the details of the other 4 children of Patience & Alexander Carr and their marriages etc?

A fountain of knowledge

Hi knoxru,
    All BDM's can be found at this site https://bdmhistoricalrecords.dia.govt.nz
    If you need marriage after abt 1935 and up to 1956 then you need the cd, which I have and can help you.

knoxru

Hi Chisel,

Thanks, thats really kind of you to help with the CD, please can you help with the marriage of Alexander Carr & Patience's eldest son, I think he may have married Millie Rachel James in 1944, his name was William Alexander Carr (sometimes he went the other way around and was known as Alexander William Carr), he may have divorced and then remarried after 1944 to someone else, please tell me what you can find for me. Also is there a CD of births? I know Patience & Alexander had 4 children born in New Zealand in the 1920's 2 boys and 2 girls but i dont have their names.

A fountain of knowledge

I've sent a pm message on the marriages since they are recent. So that question has been answered.
    knoxru. The is no BMD cd for births and deaths only the marriages. The website will show deaths to the present but births you need to search the library fisches which is a big undertaking. However between 1910 and 1930 there are only 30 CARR's born none of which have children with parents called Patience or Wm Alexander.
    Could the children have been adopted?

A fountain of knowledge

Merry Christmas knoxru.
    Try NZ Archives https://www.archway.archives.govt.nz
    Put in CARR and clk on the top 'GO' button. Scroll down to military records and hey presto down load the file.
    However this Alexander (birth date matches yours) has his mother L CARR as next of kin?? Is your Waikato guy the right person? Everybody should have at least 2 names to make searching easier.
    Also try advanced search and turn off all areas except Wgtn and Alk. to reduce the number of results.

knoxru

Hi, William Alexander is the son of Patience, are there any 1920's Carr births with the father Alexander Carr, the mother Patience had no middle name, are there any births to Alexander & Patience? their last child was born Jan-Mar 1929 as was 7 months old at the time of Patience's death.

knoxru

Hi, this is correct, its our Alexander, was a very interesting find about the war desertion, he married Patience a few months after disappearing in 1917.The record talks about his mother L Carr but I am fairly confident this was for Lizzie Carr as in Elizabeth. There is another part of the military document which calls her Mrs E Carr.

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Default My grandfather Carr

HELLO!!!!
    My grandfather was left at a Wellington crèche in 1925. A note said his name was Robert Carr and his mother Mrs Carr would come back for him in the afternoon and never returned.
    He is now 95 and we are desperately searching for his biological family. He has ancestry DNA links to walesbury family in uk. His DNA says uk and European Jewish.
    My name is Tamsin Dobson in NZ please contact me via Facebook messenger