Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Knowledgeable and helpful warncoort's Avatar

Default Mary Flora McINTOSH

Folks,
    I had planned to add an attachment here but it appears i am not allowed to.
    Mary is said to be the daughter of Donald McIntosh and Rosario Maria Aboitiz though i have nothing concrete as yet.The only item i have is New South Wales, Australia, Gaol Description and Entrance Books, 1818-1930 for Mary Wilbee,this being her second husband's name,birthplace shown as Cumberland,1818 and that she arrived in Australia in 1840 aboard the ship Roy(Royal?)Consort.I have searched various NSW sites for this ship and only found one reference to it, arriving in Port Phillip in 1844.Her father was lost at sea and his marriage took place on board ship in the Meditteranean.My query is were ships solely for convicts or free settlers?Might Donald have been ship's crew or captain and brought the family to Australia?
    Eric
    Last edited by warncoort; 14-04-2013 at 1:55 AM. Reason: Extra question

lawsue

Hi Eric,
    Royal Consort arrived 9/11/1840 Port Jackson. I have searched the passenger list but can't find Mary McIntosh or Mary Wilbee. The Royal Consort was a bounty ship.
    Sue

lawsue

Could she have travelled under her first husbands name ?

lawsue

First husband Michael Richard Melanophy. Lots of trees on this family. One says he died at sea and another states that he died at Grafton in 1845.
    Also article on Trove that her second husband, Cornelius Wilbee stabbed her with bootmaking tools.

Sue

Sue,
    The Mcintosh/Melanphy line is a fair pain!I have not been able to find anything to hang my hat on;their first child,Sarah,is said to be born at sea in Oct 1841,have her baptism in Sydney in Dec,but no sign of either party arriving here.Michael is also a seaman but State Library of NSW was unable to find him as crew either,and his surname has countless possible spellings.Their marriage is also still a mystery.
    Thanks for your help.
    Eric

A fountain of knowledge

I found this tho it doesnt appear to be of any help

The Maitland Mercury & Hunter River General Advertiser (NSW : 1843 - 1893)
    Wednesday 21 July 1847

At St. Mary's Church, West Maitland, on the 19th instant, Mr. Cornelius Wilbee, to Miss Mary Melanophy. both of West Maitland.

Trove has a few mentions of Wilbee,none of them meritorious.The Melanphy line is my interest,but thanks for your help.

Nannas

Hiyas,
    I don't think I am understanding this..

""Her father was lost at sea and his marriage took place on board ship in the Meditteranean""

Do you mean Donald married on his way to (Australia?) sometime prior to 1818....??
    Then the family (or atleast the mother) returned to England by 1818 to give birth to Mary???

Nannas

Nannas

Ok,
    I had a look at the trees and I understand better now.
    Quite a number of trees and the only 'source' that any of them have is another Ancestry Tree..
    I see most have deaths for Donald and Rosario in NSW which just don't appear on BDM or cemetery registers...

There are various records for Michael MEL*PHY including another child Susannah b.1843 in Sydney.

Cannot find arrival for Mary for the life of me..maybe she did arrive with husband as crew..or maybe that trip/list didn't survive or just hasn't been placed online yet.

Nannas

A very disjointed family as far as records go,had State Library check crew lists with negative result,their daughters Sarah and Susannah are fully recorded.This may be one line which just sits and stews for now.
    Eric

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast