Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Nannas

Hi Eric,
    The NSW State Library wouldn't really be the place to contact for crew/passenger lists.
    NSW State Records would be the go BUT neither place will do free research.
    If they cannot find it right off the bat they won't search through hundreds of records by hand looking for name variations etc.

Also if he wasn't Australian 'crew' he wouldn't show on Australian 'crew' records/indexes.
    Only a small percent of 'crew' records are available online.

I really don't think its a disjointed family as far as records go,,,,just noone has any 'real' facts to search the records for.
    How do we know Mary's maiden name was MCINTOSH and her parents were Donald and Rosario??
    Does anyone have any certs which contain any information that could confirm/deny?

As I mentioned not one tree has any 'real' source, they just all have "another tree" and one person has that Rosario Maria married Michael and Mary (I assume) was the name Rosario Maria used..That is why when Mary (daughter) married WILBEE she is noted as MISS Mary..

Nannas

Nannas

Hiya warncoort,
    ON Ancestry you keep telling ppl to buy certs and work it out,,,
    SO maybe you should take some of your own advice,,,,,,and buy some certs....(not that many of them will do you any good) BUT
    do you have ANY??????????

Nannas

Knowledgeable and helpful warncoort's Avatar

I do have an expandafile full of certificates,have bought them to verify detail needed.Melanphys don't present themselves officially,so a little hard to buy anything.

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Hi, I know this thread is old but I after 30 years researching this family, I have returned after a break. I am frustrated regarding the amount of wrong information out there. I know where the story of Mary McIntosh came from and unless someone can show me written proof, I still think it is a load of rubbish. (Also the story about her being aboriginal!) There is supposed to be a Spanish link due the Thalassemia, the person was clutching at straws. We do have this disease but it is not from Mary directly. The people who are affected in my family come down the Susannah Melanophy, so it is more likely that it comes from the Melanophy side. Many generations on my side have been tested and we do not carry the gene. I come down the Amelia Flora Wilbee line. You have to have two people to have children with the gene. As people here have said how do you know her name was McIntosh? NOTHING I can find in any primary documents will back this up. I have yet to sight anything that would lead to this being correct. Mary Wilbee was Marry Curran who came out on the Royal Consort. I believe you were on the correct track in the first place. Mary would have come out here under her maiden name. The only Mary who fits is Mary Curran. She would have then married Michael/Richard Melanophy had the two girls, then married Cornelius Wilbee. At least with this there are primary documents, newspaper clippings and certificates. I am quite willing to look at other options if anyone has documented proof. I have never seen a document to state that Mary's middle name was Flora, maybe someone got mixed up and recorded it somewhere that I do not know of. Please contact me Eric if you are still around, happy to share information, unfortunately the Melanophy's are still a mystery.

Hello,
    Since i started the thread i have mostly avoided further search.Did some quick checks today without positive result,still can't find Mary born Cockermouth though a childs memory of pob is often inaccurate.Is it your precis on Ancestry?
    Will get on this again.
    Eric

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Hi Eric,
    Mary Anne Curran is listed in the single females section forth down on the shipping list. I had high hopes that Michael Melanophy was working on this ship as it would have cleared up a few other things, but alas no, we have to keep going LOL
    I have to apologise as well, l as I did find a reference to Flora McIntosh. It is mentioned on the death certificate of Susannah Curtain, nee Melanophy. However where it states Name of parents, the Richard above the Melanophy and the Flora above the McIntosh have been written in by another hand. I really do not have any written proof of the Donald McIntosh and Rosario Maria Aboitiz, I believe that is only hearsay. No I am not on Ancestry. I read an interesting article while searching this, that there was a lot of Spanish blood in Irish people. I thought Michael Melanophy was supposed to be Irish, cannot remember why I thought that now. I wonder if the Spanish blood came from him. You may wonder why I am on about the Spanish blood, our family was the subject of a research project done in the 60s and early 70s as it was quite unusual that a white European family should have this Mediterranean disease.
    Cheers
    Denise

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Default Melannphfy

I too have got nowhere in finding any information regarding Mary and Michaels origins and what ship they came over to Australia on.

I have gone back to the marriage of their daughter,Sarah,to William Henry Farmer in 1859.Both BDM and church transcription do not record anything beyond their names,witnesses names and William's occupation so hard to get anything on her parents.
    Bundysue,your handle is familiar,are you active on other forums?

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Quote Originally Posted by warncoort View Post
    A very disjointed family as far as records go,had State Library check crew lists with negative result,their daughters Sarah and Susannah are fully recorded.This may be one line which just sits and stews for now.
    Eric
    Hi Eric,
    I am descended from Susannah Melanphy.Have you done a DNA test? I have connected with DNA matches from Michael's siblings lines.
    Regard Sue

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Default Mary and Michael

Quote Originally Posted by Mayden View Post
    Hi, I know this thread is old but I after 30 years researching this family, I have returned after a break. I am frustrated regarding the amount of wrong information out there. I know where the story of Mary McIntosh came from and unless someone can show me written proof, I still think it is a load of rubbish. (Also the story about her being aboriginal!) There is supposed to be a Spanish link due the Thalassemia, the person was clutching at straws. We do have this disease but it is not from Mary directly. The people who are affected in my family come down the Susannah Melanophy, so it is more likely that it comes from the Melanophy side. Many generations on my side have been tested and we do not carry the gene. I come down the Amelia Flora Wilbee line. You have to have two people to have children with the gene. As people here have said how do you know her name was McIntosh? NOTHING I can find in any primary documents will back this up. I have yet to sight anything that would lead to this being correct. Mary Wilbee was Marry Curran who came out on the Royal Consort. I believe you were on the correct track in the first place. Mary would have come out here under her maiden name. The only Mary who fits is Mary Curran. She would have then married Michael/Richard Melanophy had the two girls, then married Cornelius Wilbee. At least with this there are primary documents, newspaper clippings and certificates. I am quite willing to look at other options if anyone has documented proof. I have never seen a document to state that Mary's middle name was Flora, maybe someone got mixed up and recorded it somewhere that I do not know of. Please contact me Eric if you are still around, happy to share information, unfortunately the Melanophy's are still a mystery.
    Hi,
    Out of curiosity have you had your DNA tested with Ancestry?
    I have tested and have found DNA matches to Michael Melanphy's siblings plus some records on Michael. I also have a small cluster of DNA matches that are from overseas and match all 3 lines of Mary's daughters Sarah, Susannah and Amelia. I feel if we want to break down this brick wall more of us need to test and collaborate.
    My email is suemcDOTancestryATgmail.com if you would like to make contact.
    Regards Sue
    Last edited by christanel; 10-07-2023 at 8:00 PM. Reason: email address disguised to deter spam as per T&C's

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast