dalek39

Default William Adams..Martha Tribe

William Adams, born 1774 ? married Martha Tribe on 14 Feb 1804 at St.Mary;s Portsea, Hampshire...
    I can't find where either William or Martha originated..I believe Martha may have been born around 1783.?
    They had one son..John William Adams, born 1805 St Mary's Portsea..and then have disappeared of the map.
    Without any further information makes it difficult to go on..but...I did find a William Adams who died in 1805..St Mary's Portsea...two months after John William was born..and what is interesting here is, that John William migrated to Australia in 1836, and there was no mention of his parents in his letters to home...I wonder if both his parents died when he was a child...being an only child..not writing to either his mother or father, Question is..can someone find a William Adams death in Portsea in 1805 please..Only record I can find is on F/S... Williams son John William was a cordwainer...if thats any help... Dalek.....

birdlip

There is this death on Family Search:

Martha ADAMS 30 April 1809 Portsea Hampshire [B03632-3]

flashclick

The parents of John William Adams b 1806 in Portsea were William Adams & Martha Tribe. However they both disappear after the event of his birth. The Church death records at St Marys Portsea only give columns of names in chronological order. So the date and the name Martha Adams in 1809 is all there is. There are death records in St Marys Portsea for William Adams in 1805, 1808, 1810, and so on and so forth. But again nothing to link the name to the person we seek. The last known address for JWA was in Chalton Street Portsea, which is in the Kingston/Kingston Cross part of Portsea, confirmed by the church baptism records for the three of his children born in Portsea. There is a William Adams (a Blacksmith) living in Chalton Street in 1841/1851 Census but he is born about 1798 and is therefore too young to reasonably be the father of our JWA. The only reasonable candidate for the father is a William Adams b 1774 in Catherington - about 8 miles from Portsea. I am well open to correction and seek a more definite answer.

dalek39

Thanks birdlip have that one..have to prove that its her..working on that...Dalek..

dalek39

Thanks flashclick..you seem to be spot on...I have an Adams Family Book, written by Myra Stringer..telling of the arrival of this John William Adams and family on the HMS Buffalo in 1836.(Google it).to South Australia..and in it it tells that the family were living at Charlton Street. Portsea just before they migrated to Australia, and that this place was in the Docklands of Portsea.
    I also have the death certificate of a William Adams..Blacksmith.in the Docklands.Portsea.....with the address at death at Charlton Street..(as you found) I agree that the age at death is 62..but as I have found in previous death certificates I have obtained, that the age of the deceased can be out by years..One family member, was down as 62, when we had other proof that she was 44 when died..I was told by a moderator on BG Forums, that people present at the persons death didn't always know the age of the deceased and usually guessed their age....
    From the fact that the address is the same as his family in Portsea befoure they left..and the Docklands mention, leads me to believe this is my man..but...I have to be cautions I know...Its the best lead I have found so far...
    I have also seen the Catherington entries, and thats a strong possibility, but I just can't seem to connect the dots there..doesn't rule that out , but until I find further evidence, I'll put it on hold...
    One theory on the family disappearing after JWA's birth..is that Martha (Tribe) Adams died young, and that William married again..as there were no letters from JWA to his family back in England...who knows what family problems there were...
    Anyway..I do appreciate your assistance here...hopefully we can get to the bottom of this mystery...Dalek

dalek39

Flashclick...I looked on the 1851 41 census for William Adams, Blacksmith..Charlton Street Portsea..and its not on Ancestry Sensuses that I could see..is there any way you can forward this to me please...Dalek...

dalek39

Flashclick Correction..no need to forward that census of William Adams 1851....I found that census on William Adams..Charlton St..and he's married with three children...so, evidently not him...though I was sure..but as you said..date wrong... He could have remarried, if Martha died early, all I know is that I have evidence in a book I have that JWAdams (son) resided at Charlton Street before he migrated out to Australia, and there was mention of "Sawyer" Dockland..Kingston Portsea.. which wouldn't be him as he was only a young boy..it was either his father or grandfather....that is all I have to go on at this stage...
    There was an entry on family search..William Adams..died 1805 St Marys Portsea...Now his eldest son was born in 1805.St Mary;s Portsea..and as there seems to be a dead end here ..maybe both his parents died when he was young, reason why we can't find any mention of them after that...does a death certificate tell the spouse of the person if the deceased is male..I know it does with the wife.
    Anyway..thanks for your help...appreciate that...dalek.