Knowledgeable and helpful

Default Finding a Marriage License

I found a reference to a marriage license on FindMyPast, the Worcestershire marriage license of Isabell Allen and John Chapman in 1667

I want to get a copy of license so I can try to either confirm or rule out the bride as being 'my' Isabell.

The reference is:

Worcester Marriage Diocese Licenses; Boyd's 1st Misc Series; 1538 to 1775; there doesn't seem to be an exact reference number.

The data was supplied by the Society of Genealogists.

My question is, where do I go for the actual license, assuming it still exists, without an exact date or place?

Name well known on Brit-Gen

Try here:
    https://
    https://www.worcesterbmsgh.co.uk/pari.../bmsgh-indexes

The index contains 'all Worcestershire parishes 1660-1837 including those added to or lost to the County by boundary changes etc. The index also contains many non-conformist, Quaker, Roman Catholic plus many Strays.'
    thanks to:
    https://www.sterryworldwide.com/worcbdm.htm
    Happy Families
    Wendy
    Count your Blessings, they'll all add up in the end.

To obtain a copy of a marriage licence rather than an entry in a marriage register one would have to contact the relevant county record office.
    For examples of Marriage Certificates and Marriage Licences see-
    https://anguline.co.uk/cert/marriage.html
    Cheers
    Guy

PS. View the register entry to find rough date of licence
    Last edited by Guy Etchells; 12-04-2013 at 10:32 AM. Reason: added PS
    As we have gained from the past, we owe the future a debt, which we pay by sharing today.

Quote Originally Posted by Guy Etchells View Post
    To obtain a copy of a marriage licence rather than an entry in a marriage register one would have to contact the relevant county record office.
    For examples of Marriage Certificates and Marriage Licences see-
    https://anguline.co.uk/cert/marriage.html
    Cheers
    Guy
    Thanks Guy,

I thought so, but I wasn't 100% sure. I hope they are willing to search for me without an exact date.

mfwebb

Quote Originally Posted by t@nya View Post
    I found a reference to a marriage license on FindMyPast, the Worcestershire marriage license of Isabell Allen and John Chapman in 1667

I want to get a copy of license so I can try to either confirm or rule out the bride as being 'my' Isabell . . .

. . . The data was supplied by the Society of Genealogists.

My question is, where do I go for the actual license, assuming it still exists, without an exact date or place?
    In similar circumstances some years ago I approached the Society of Genealogists direct with the information I had (I did know the actual place though -- Ampthill, Bedfordshire). They provided me with a copy of the licence details they held. It didn't tell me much I didn't already know from the Parish Record of the marriage, except for the occupation of the groom and the person who stood surety for the licence. I can't remember whether there was a charge or not.

All the best,

Malcolm Webb
    Lincoln UK

Quote Originally Posted by mfwebb View Post
    In similar circumstances some years ago I approached the Society of Genealogists direct with the information I had (I did know the actual place though -- Ampthill, Bedfordshire). They provided me with a copy of the licence details they held. It didn't tell me much I didn't already know from the Parish Record of the marriage, except for the occupation of the groom and the person who stood surety for the licence. I can't remember whether there was a charge or not.

All the best,

Malcolm Webb
    Lincoln UK
    Thanks.

janbooth

The actual marriage record on Ancestry might help you to determine whether she is your Isabell. The marriage took place at Salford Priors on 20 September 1667 and reads:

John CHAPMAN of Bidford and Isabell ALLEN of Wixford married by licence.

There is a baptism at Alcester (very close to Wixford) on 10 July 1644 of an Isabell ALLEN daughter of Jhon ALLEN which could be relevant to the above marriage.

Janet

Quote Originally Posted by janbooth View Post
    The actual marriage record on Ancestry might help you to determine whether she is your Isabell. The marriage took place at Salford Priors on 20 September 1667 and reads:

John CHAPMAN of Bidford and Isabell ALLEN of Wixford married by licence.

There is a baptism at Alcester (very close to Wixford) on 10 July 1644 of an Isabell ALLEN daughter of Jhon ALLEN which could be relevant to the above marriage.

Janet
    Thanks Janbooth.

Sadly, it looks like this isn't my Isabell. But, at least, I can cross her off the list.

On the bright side, I now know what to do to find marriage licenses for other possible family members.