Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    maggie-may

Default Family link to France

Hi all.

I am researching my Grandmother's family (Wilson) and almost immediately have hit a brick wall! I managed to find nan on a 1911 census age 19 yrs living with her married aunt & family by the name of Rowden. They are living in Islington UK. It states the aunt, Frances Jane Rowden nee Wilson as being born in France. It also says British by parentage. I have checked all the BMD records in the UK incase Frances was indeed born there but was registered here, but there appears to be no sign of her recorded birth. I checked the marriage records too but again there is nothing registered in the UK. It has been suggested that being she was born in France it's possible that she married there too.

I am hoping that someone on this site maybe able to check the French registers for me? I know it's a big ask, but I would be so grateful if anyone out there could be of assistance. The details are as follows.

Birth: Frances Jane Wilson 1875c France (have no idea which region) Father's name would have been George & mother was Julia Frances Wilson nee Cully.

Marriage 1893c to James Rowden a French Polisher born in St Lukes. London. UK

Thank you all for taking the time to read this. I really would appreciate any help/advice on offer.

Brick wall demolition expert!

Without wishing to be a harbinger of doom; something at the back of my mind is telling me that there is no central /national registration system in France.

I did a quick check of British births registered overseas (e.g. at embassies) and can't see anything.

Brick wall demolition expert!

George Wilson and Julia Frances Cully married Qtr Jul 1857 St Martins in the Fields Vol 1A page 537

Knowledgeable and helpful

Quote Originally Posted by Megan Roberts View Post
    Without wishing to be a harbinger of doom; something at the back of my mind is telling me that there is no central /national registration system in France.

I did a quick check of British births registered overseas (e.g. at embassies) and can't see anything.
    There isn't. I have French ancestors and have searched the registers online. You have to search each place individually, though they are indexes for each register (they are indexed by decade I think). Assuming that register is online that is. The ones my ancestors are in is, but I don't know about the rest of French.

Even having a approximate date, it's going to be a monumental task.

maggie-may

Hi All.
    Thank you for replying to my post. So much for a brick wall! It looks as though I've happened on a concrete jungle
    I had a feeling there would be a high possibility of not be able to resolve the France link. It's so frustrating, can't even fathom out why the ancestors would have been in France to begin with! Thank you Megan for the marriage details. I did manage to find that entry a short while ago. I am desperate to find the one for Frances & James but it looks as though I may have to put this line of the research to bed. Thank you all for your help & advice though. Much appreciated. Maggie

madmickbiker

Default Frances Jane Rowden

Are you still researching Frances Wilson? Frances Jane Rowden is my gt grandmother. She is not French!

Elaine Wilson

Quote Originally Posted by maggie-may View Post
    Hi all.

I am researching my Grandmother's family (Wilson) and almost immediately have hit a brick wall! I managed to find nan on a 1911 census age 19 yrs living with her married aunt & family by the name of Rowden. They are living in Islington UK. It states the aunt, Frances Jane Rowden nee Wilson as being born in France. It also says British by parentage. I have checked all the BMD records in the UK incase Frances was indeed born there but was registered here, but there appears to be no sign of her recorded birth. I checked the marriage records too but again there is nothing registered in the UK. It has been suggested that being she was born in France it's possible that she married there too.

I am hoping that someone on this site maybe able to check the French registers for me? I know it's a big ask, but I would be so grateful if anyone out there could be of assistance. The details are as follows.

Birth: Frances Jane Wilson 1875c France (have no idea which region) Father's name would have been George & mother was Julia Frances Wilson nee Cully.

Marriage 1893c to James Rowden a French Polisher born in St Lukes. London. UK

Thank you all for taking the time to read this. I really would appreciate any help/advice on offer.

topleycolin

Maggie-May, I'd love to help you.I speak completely fluent French and have searched lots of French records for my own anglo-French ancestors & relatives. I have come across any amount of English & Irish surnames including 1 or 2 Wilsons. The records are free and most are the actual microfilms of the registers. Do you know the area of France at all?
    I should add that I've found that some British families didn't bother to register with the French authorities.
    All the best, Colin

madmickbiker

As I have already stated.....Frances Jane Rowden (nee Wilson) is NOT French. She was born in a slum in Clerkenwell, London. She lied about being French because she was actually already married to someone else. Her illigitimate daughter was my grandmother. I know all about her. So forget the French link because there is none. I was fed this lie for decades until I discovered the truth.

Quote Originally Posted by topleycolin View Post
    Maggie-May, I'd love to help you.I speak completely fluent French and have searched lots of French records for my own anglo-French ancestors & relatives. I have come across any amount of English & Irish surnames including 1 or 2 Wilsons. The records are free and most are the actual microfilms of the registers. Do you know the area of France at all?
    I should add that I've found that some British families didn't bother to register with the French authorities.
    All the best, Colin

topleycolin

Default Frances Jane Rowden

Maggie-May, in the 1901 census, Frances J. Rowden's place of birth is stated to be France & her nationality French. She was stated as being 29 years old thus born in 1871-72 and was a fur machinist. The 1911 census states she was then aged 36 and married to James for 18 years. It just gives France as place of birth. I've found these age & date discrepancies to be quite common even in educated families. A George Lupton Wilson was born in Paris between 1866 - 70. A Louise Wilson and a Benjamin Wilson were born in Paris in the same period.
    Colin

madmickbiker

Please don't continue trying to justify info iro my gt grandmother that is erroneous. She was NEVER married to Rowden, he was her lover. Their child was my grandmother. I have all the certificates, photos & authentication. As I have already said, she lied to her lover about her origins. She lied to her family too. She never was French. None of the Wilson family are French. Only the Rowdens had Huguenot origins. She was a Roman Catholic living in sin with a bastard child whilst her true husband was in the army. End of story.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast