Mullies

Thumbs up Mullis Family in England

I have researched the Mullis family in England and America for forty years. In 1984 self-published book
    which I am presently revising for publication later this year.

The earliest English Mullis family dates to the Meulles/Molis present at Hastings and seated in Devon:
    two primary surname families emerged by fourteenth century: Mules in Devon, and Mullis in Cornwall.

This Mullis family did not originate with Mule-hus, but from Norman MEULLES which in Latin was consistently MOLIS and land/tax records have been cross-indexed under Molis. My study tracks the Devon-seated family based on those sources. By early fourteenth century the forms
    MOLYS and MOLLYS ermerged and continued through to 1483-1497 and land lease records for Michaelstow Parish, whereon several MOLEUS appear, immediate progenitors of the MULLES - MULLIS family in that parish, pertaining to Helstone-in-Trigg manor of the Cornwall Duchy.

It is all contained in my 1984 book, now extensively revised with new information proving descent of the Mullis surname of the West Country from medieval Meulles/Molis. Second part of my book deals with emigation to Virginia in 1658 and tracing descendants through 1784 in Virginia and North Carolina. Everything is document-based, with fully identified sources included.

Significant variants of Mullis include Molis, Mulles, Mullis, Mulliss and Mullies, all of which are investigated in opening essay on "Surname Origins and Spelling Development."

I welcome correspondence at: amullies AT yahoo DOT com

Arthur
    Last edited by Mutley; 11-04-2013 at 7:43 PM. Reason: Edited email. Please read AUP