Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    ewan

Default 1871 Census Help

Can anyone help please to find mum and daughter on the 1871 census?

Details are from the daughter's birth certificate so they are all I have.

Alice Emily Foster born 1867 Isle of Wight Hampshire
    Mum's name is an Elizabeth Foster living South Street Ryde Isle of Wight
    No mention of a dad's name

Many thanks
    Ewan

pennydog

Ewan,

I cannot find mother and daughter at all. I have looked at South Street to see if anyone there looked like they could be your girls but nothing. I have tried looking for Emily with mother Elizabeth in case she was entered with her second name but again I have drawn a blank.

Sorry, they are very elusive.

Brick wall demolition expert!

Could Elizabeth have married between Alice's birth and the 1871 Census?

ewan

Thanks Penny for searching for me, I couldn't find them. Megan, thanks for your suggestion, Elizabeth could have possibly married between 1867 and 1871 but it will be another search to see what married name of an Elizabeth corresponds with maybe a daughter named as Alice living with her and Elizabeth's husband on the 1871 census. If Elizabeth did marry, Alice could well have taken on the husband's surname instead of Foster, I have looked to see if there is an Alice Foster living with relatives but that turned up a non starter. I feel this is going to turn into one of those impossibles.

Ewan

Very quick off the mark.

There's an item in the Western Mail Friday 08 March 1872 concerning the suspicious death of Alice Emily FOSTER, infant daughter of Samuel FOSTER. It mentions her mother but does not give her name.

Maggie

P.S. I've just noticed this happened in Dorset so may not be your Alice Emily. I can't see a birth record for an Alice Emily FOSTER born in Dorset
    Last edited by margarita; 11-04-2013 at 7:13 AM. Reason: Added P.S.

ewan

Hello Maggie

Thank you for finding and posting the information regarding the Western Mail. At first I thought it could be relevant because I haven't been able to find an Alice Foster in the Hampshire area in 1871, and it could of been the case that her mum Elizabeth married after she was born and maybe the family moved away. But ............ after investigation I have found the birth registration of an Alice Emily Foster June 1871 Dorchester, the baptism of an Alice Emily Foster parents being a Thomas Samuel Foster and a Selina Ceyens Foster in 1871 and the death registration of an Alice Emily Foster aged 0 March 1872 Dorchester, so that possibly could be the suspicious death of an infant that you read about.

So, it's back to the search, which I think is proving to be tricky. If anyone can help with looking for a marriage for Elizabeth and maybe connecting it up with a young Alice it would be appreciated.

Many thanks

Ewan

sueannbowen

Cripes Ewan - you do pick 'em! I found a very nice looking William Thompson married to an Elizabeth living in Lambeth in the 1881 census with an Alice E. M. of the right age born in the Isle of Wight 1867. Then I found the same parents in 1871 with a daughter Martha Elizth. A born at the same time as Alice also in the Isle of Wight.
    Census refs are: 1881 RG11 599;65;14
    1871 RG10 668;108;28

The parents are shown as born in the same place on both census him in Camberwell, her Westminster. Both around aged 31 in 1871. Then the whole thing went out the window as I found a birth registration on FBMD for Martha Thompson the quarter after Alice Foster's namely June. Even I cannot believe that Elizabeth would register her child twice with a different surname! Haven't found a marriage for Elizabeth and William Thompson which might possibly potentially perhaps prove that the above isn't rubbish, but not holding my breath. Still I enjoyed the chase. If one of the other forum members wants to find that marriage of William and Elizabeth I would be delighted as I am a bit fed up with them.

ewan

Quote Originally Posted by sueannbowen View Post
    Cripes Ewan - you do pick 'em!
    I know don't I just?

Sue, I think that the Alice E M born 1867 Isle of Wight on the 1881 census with mum and dad, Elizabeth and William Thompson is ......

Alice Elizabeth Martha born 1867 Newport registration district, mum's maiden name Cook.

Just for the record Wills and Liz married in 1866 St John Newport Isle of Wight.

Thanks for helping with the search, I thought we had demolished a little wall then.

Ewan

pennydog

Ewan,

I will throw this one in for you to consider RG10/1159/24/3 - Tinker's Lane, Northwood, IoW

George Bilk head b1808 - Calbourne IoW
    Harriet Bilk wife b1818 - (I cannot read place name could be Wiltshire, but not IoW)
    Maria Bilk daughter b1842 - Northwood IoW
    William Bilk son b1852 - Northwood IoW
    Henry Bilk son 1855 - Northwood IoW
    Alice Bilk grandaughter b1867 - Northwood IoW

I cannot see a birth of an Alice Bilk on the IoW (there is a birth for a Sarah b1867). I cannot find Alice Bilk b1867 in 1881 (nor a death). There is an Alice Bilk b1862, but she is on the 1871 census, age 8.

sueannbowen

Quote Originally Posted by ewan View Post
    I know don't I just?

Thanks for helping with the search, I thought we had demolished a little wall then.

Ewan
    Well my dear you always did like to give us a challenge. I have no idea where you find them. But at least my research backed up what you already knew. I might come back to this, but then again I might not!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast