viv11757

Default Islington London

I am trying to locate a shop in Islington London 'Ames and Dean' which I believe existed in the early 1900 to 1930's. I am also trying to find my great grandfather between 1920 and 1932. He is called Alec Ashley Ames and lives in 20 London Street, Islington in 1918. His wife Ada Louise dies in 1920 and is interred in Finchley cemetery. Alec Ashley then resurfaces in 1934 when he marries Emma Margaret Reynolds in Rustington, East Preston. Any help would be great, thanks

Name well known on Brit-Gen

Try a google of : photos of Islington,london.
    quite a few offerings come up.
    Happy Families
    Wendy
    Count your Blessings, they'll all add up in the end.

viv11757

Now looking for a 3rd marriage for Alec Ashley Ames? I have him marry Ada Louise Warne Mar 1899, she died in 1920, he marries again in 1934 East Preston to Emma Margaret Reynolds who died in 1942. He then reappears on the electoral roll in 1949 and 1950 at Sunbury on Thames with Grace E Ames (3rd wife) but I can't find a marriage record. I'm at a brick wall......

Knowledgeable and helpful

Hi Viv,

There is a marriage between a Reginald J D AMES and a Grace E Harris in 1943, Surrey North Western, JAS 2A 973.
    This marriage is transcribed twice, once in the name of Reginald J DEAN-AMES.

There is also a marriage between an Alec A AMES and an Elizabeth Marsh in 1925, Islington, JAS 1B 508.

Peter

Knowledgeable and helpful Karen Newman's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by elsinore View Post
    Hi Viv,

There is also a marriage between an Alec A AMES and an Elizabeth Marsh in 1925, Islington, JAS 1B 508.
    Having 'googled', it would appear that it is Alec's son who marries Elizabeth Marsh.

viv11757

Hi Peter, the marriage Alec A Ames and Elizabeth Marsh is his son Alec Albert Ames.
    I think the Reginald J D Ames could possibly be him as he had shops with the name 'Ames and Dean'. I am a bit stumped for the reason that he appears to have taken this new forename. One of his death records is Alec A Dean Ames? Totally perplexed with the name changing?

Knowledgeable and helpful

Well, a copy of the marriage certificate might help as it should show groom's age and name of father. If it is him, though, why the change of name? Cynical old me would be thinking something unlawful!

Peter

p.s. There is a building firm called Deans of Islington Ltd.

Name well known on Brit-Gen

National Probate Calendar 1951
    AMES [or] DEAN-AMES Reginald John otherwise Alec Ashley or AMES Alec Ashley or DEAN Reginald John of Lyndor Green-street Sunbury-on-Thames Middlesex died 1 May 1951 Probate London 22 December to Grace Eliza Dean-Ames widow. Effects £1945 8s. 2d.