thehopefulrook

Default Railway Lamp Boy

I know the answer seems obvious but can anyone tell me exactly the job of a lamp Boy in 1905.
    My Grandfather Watson Allison aged 18 started work in 1905 as a Lamp Boy at Seaham Harbour Station Co Durham for NER. He progressed to Porter and by the time he retired in 1952 he was a Guard. Would he have had to sit any tests or would changing jobs be promotion for working hard. Also does anyone know were i can find any more information about him. Thanking you in advance

euryalus

Quote Originally Posted by thehopefulrook View Post
    I know the answer seems obvious but can anyone tell me exactly the job of a lamp Boy in 1905.
    My Grandfather Watson Allison aged 18 started work in 1905 as a Lamp Boy at Seaham Harbour Station Co Durham for NER. He progressed to Porter and by the time he retired in 1952 he was a Guard. Would he have had to sit any tests or would changing jobs be promotion for working hard. Also does anyone know were i can find any more information about him. Thanking you in advance
    A lamp boy would have been a "starting job" for a young employee, and it would probably have involved "lamping" duties - that is to say cleaning and trimming the oil lamps wihich were needed to illuminate the semaphore signals. A Signal Lampman would be an adult employee.

Reputation beyond repute

Lamp lad

Cleans, fills, trims, lights and extinguishes at specified times, portable lamps used in station, passenger trains rear lamps and passenger carriage roof oil lamps where used; removes lamps on barrow to and from lamp room; at some stations performs similar duties in regard to fixed oil or gas lamps where not done by carriage and wagon department.

Source: Dictionary of Occupational Terms, Ministry of Labour, London, 1927