Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Famous for offering help & advice michaelpipe's Avatar

Default Missing Immigrant - Ludmilla Liibus

I have found in the National Archives Passenger Arrivals Index the above person, spelt incorrectly as Lodinilla Leibus, arriving Sydney 15 Oct 1929 aboard "Otranto". However, I have scoured every page of the Passenger List on FMP and failed to find the entry.
    Anyone got any ideas?

Michael
    Michael

Suffolk Pipe – one tree

jac65

Hi Michael

The details on the National Archives Passenger Arrivals Index relate to arrivals in Fremantle, there could be a transcription error so your best bet would be to find an actual passenger list in Australia. The Otranto would probably have called into Adelaide a couple of days after the 15th so perhaps the State Library of South Australia has the passenger list on film. I'm wondering if she didn't actually board at London but at another port enroute.

Andy

Thanks Andy, might be worth a try. However the odd thing is that I know she left from London, having travelled there from Estonia.
    I will see if I can find the passenger list.

Another strange thing is that she vanishes after arriving. Family says she died sometime in the 50's, probably in NSW, but no death record or remarriage record. In short, I have lost her!!

Michael
    Michael

Suffolk Pipe – one tree

terrysfamily

Hi Mike, I have sent you a PM.

Terry

Procat

Leibus sounds like Libbis if looking for an alternative spelling.

Tony Moore

Default LIIBUS: 1929 arriving on 6 July per ORVIETO

Dear Michael,

In the National Australia Archives (on line) https://www.naa.gov.au
    You can do a name search (all records)

there is this entry:

Vaike LIIBUS - Nationality: Estonian - Arrived Sydney per ORVIETO on 06 Jul 1929

There is a husband Eugene mentioned. They became Australian citizens in 1942 and he served in WW2. Lived at Woollahra, Sydney, NSW

It's a little different from your original. Perhaps this is why there is no record on "SS Otranto"

Hope this doesn't confuse the issue too much.

Cheers,

Tony Moore
    (Castle Hill, NSW, Australia)

@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@
    [QUOTE=michaelpipe;554028]I have found in the National Archives Passenger Arrivals Index the above person, spelt incorrectly as Lodinilla Leibus, arriving Sydney 15 Oct 1929 aboard "Otranto". However, I have scoured every page of the Passenger List on FMP and failed to find the entry.
    Anyone got any ideas?

Michael

Thanks Tony, these are other family members - Eugen is the son of Ludmilla, Vaike was his wife, but I lost track of Ludmilla.
    Michael

Suffolk Pipe – one tree

Quote Originally Posted by Procat View Post
    Leibus sounds like Libbis if looking for an alternative spelling.
    Hello Doug, believe me, I have explored more spelling options than I can poke a stick at!!
    Thanks, anyway.
    Michael

Suffolk Pipe – one tree

Annamarie

Hi Michael,
    I found passenger lists for the Otranto on FMP Ireland collection. However, no records for 1929. Also couldn't find a record on Ancestry.

Can you give us some background information please? What was her relationship to Eugen? Did she travel by herself? Considering the attitude to immigrants in Australia at the time could she have Anglicised her name?

Quote Originally Posted by Annamarie View Post
    Hi Michael,
    I found passenger lists for the Otranto on FMP Ireland collection. However, no records for 1929. Also couldn't find a record on Ancestry.
    Can you give us some background information please? What was her relationship to Eugen? Did she travel by herself? Considering the attitude to immigrants in Australia at the time could she have Anglicised her name?
    Thanks for looking Annamarie,
    I found the 1929 passenger list on FMP and looked through every page, and although the Nat Archives says she was on the ship, I couldn't find her either. She would have travelled alone as her husband had previously died, and she was definitely in NSW, (family knowledge) in Queanbeyan. The relationships are outlined in post #7 of this thread. The name Liibus is fiercely protected and would never be Anglicised, but it is subject to transcription errors.

Thanks
    Michael

Suffolk Pipe – one tree

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast