Thread: Hi - I'm new

Jeremy Burrows

Default Hi - I'm new

I found this forum when I started googling some of my forebears' names with their places of residence, and discovered posts from other members researching the same people. Which is cool. But it was some time ago, so I don't know if they're still active on this forum.

Anyway - I'm researching my family history. I have managed to make positive identifications of all members of all generations back to and including my great x2 grandparents; and I have identified 12 out of 16 pairs of great x3 grandparents. I have identified 16 great x4 grandparents, and as one of them is a Kipling I have been able to get back to a great x8 grandfather in the Kipling line thanks to Mike Kipling and the Kipling Gene Project.

Given that I have only been doing any serious work on this for about a month, I'm feeling pretty chuffed with that result. But I have only been picking the "low-hanging fruit" on the family tree so far; from here I think it gets a wee bit more difficult!!

Wish me luck, guys ... and if you're also a Burrows or have Burrows ancestors in the East End of London or Essex, we may well be researching different branches of the same tree. Most of my Burrows forebears had between 8 and 12 children ... so there's a LOT of us out there!

Knowledgeable and helpful stepives's Avatar

Hi Jeremy, and welcome.

Procat

Greetings Jeremy.

I hope you find being here useful.

Colin Rowledge

Jeremy - great to have you on board.

I found your response on my Railwaymen thread of great interest, particularly about the transformation of the railways in the 1920's. You seem to have quite a knowledge of this subject and as only one of my ancestors was involved with the railways of that era and died before I was born, my knowledge is somewhat lacking.

Please feel free to contribute more on this topic to my thread.

Cheers
    Colin

Jeremy Burrows

Colin -

I am particularly interested in the history of the pre-grouping railways, and am in fact the convenor of the Era 1 & 2 (i.e. pre-grouping) section of the N Gauge Society (an international modelling society which is specific to N gauge - i.e. 9mm track gauge, and a scale of either 1:148 for British prototypes, or 1:150 for Japanese prototypes, or 1:160 for most other national prototypes).

So yes, I do know a fair bit about railway history - although the GWR is not one of my main areas of interest. If you have any specific railway-related queries, do please feel free to PM me and I shall see what I can do to assist.