Super Moderator

Default Webbs of Cheltenham 1911 Census

Can anyone find this family on the 1911 census?

John Webb born abt 1856 Cheltenham, Bricklayer. His wife Ann, children,Florence 1878, Eleanor 1880, Annie 1882, Rose 1884, Frederick 1886, Louise 1887 and John 1890.

Last address on the 1901 was 59 Sun Street, Cheltenham.

I have the family on all census returns but the 1911 so if anyone can find them, I would be greateful!

Knowledgeable and helpful

Could this be some of them? The other children not there though.
    RG14; Piece: 15543; Schedule Number: 99. at 6 Henrietta St
    John Webb - Bricklayer 54
    Edith Webb 50
    Florence Webb 21
    Vera Webb 20 (is this Eleanor?)
    Albert Ed Carter 18
    Assuming Ann died there is a marriage in Sep 1901 of a John Webb to Edith Carter.
    the daughters' dates dont quite match but the occupation of John looks likely.

Reputation beyond repute

Last address on the 1901 was 59 Sun Street, Cheltenham.
    I'm looking at 59 Sun Street Cheltenham in the 1901 census but the householder is Joseph Ayres. There's no Webb family there.

Fred Webb age 25 b Cheltenham in Abertillery, Wales - coal Hewer
    Class: RG14; Piece: 31839; Schedule Number: 75

and a marriage in the same Bedwelty district 3rd Q 1904 for a Rose Webb to either
    Charles Morgan or Joseph Price might be worth checking

Super Moderator

Sorry Peter it was the 1891 census they lived in Sun Street, not the 1901.

Certainly looks like that could be John and his second marriage so I will check it.

I am trying to find the son, another John born 1890, he is my husbands grandfather

it is possible that John (1890) was incorrectly enumerated or transcribed. What was his occupation in later life? it might help eliminate some of the possibilities. It looks like quite a few young men from Cheltenham were in the Army in 1911 do you know if he was?
    Where and when did he marry - that might help find him.

Super Moderator

John Webb was born in 1890 in Cheltenham. I have him on the 1901 census but he is only 11 years old so no occupation.

He married in 1914 in Sparkhill, Birmingham. Doesn't help much with finding him on the 1911.

The Rose Mary Webb mentioned married James Howells at St. Michael's, Abertillery on 20 February 1905. At the time she was living at Clarence House, York Street, Abertillery. Her father listed as Charles Webb a miner.

Super Moderator - Completely bonkers and will never change.

Quote Originally Posted by Fairy Nuff View Post
    The Rose Mary Webb mentioned married James Howells at St. Michael's, Abertillery on 20 February 1905. At the time she was living at Clarence House, York Street, Abertillery. Her father listed as Charles Webb a miner.
    Actually Rose Mary Webb (father Charles) wasn't mentioned. She was just Rose, and her father was John.

Your reply does however highlight the fact that there might be other people with very similar names marrying/living in the same area, in the same sort of time span, so it's important to consider them all, and not just latch on to the first one you see that 'seems' to fit the bill. (I nearly came unstuck with a great-granny's death by doing that. Name was right, age correct to within a year, district right. Wrong Rebecca. Mine actually died nine years later.)

You might like to put the details you have of Rose Mary's marriage in a post-em against her name on FreeBMD.
    https://www.freebmd.org.uk/cgi/search.pl

Pam
    Vulcan XH558 - “Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened.”

There were a lot living locally with the surname Webb, most notably the brewing family at nearby Aberbeeg. I have a CD of weddings and baptism's at St. Michael's, will check if there's another Rose listed.