Default Source of illustrations-The British Museum.

Just in the process of rewriting my little pocket family histories as well as a couple of new ones and have only just discovered the British Museum.

Dont laugh !!

You cant have just words, must have some pictures but if your family album before your grandparents does not exist then you need just some general pictures,street scenes, churches etc.

There are plenty of "images" on the internet, but some are of dubious copyright so need to be avoided. Have just discovered that the British Museum has an online database of thousands of pictures, all available to be used by private individuals. I have spent hours looking at this and havent scratched the surface. So if you want royalty free drawings, photos etc of of Much binding in the Marsh then give it a go.

cheers..Ed

Divad

Not laughing Ed, I agree totally with the idea. To find pictures of places where your ancestors lived or worked, even the towns they came from can liven up anyone's pedigree.

Absolutely agree! I have been doing this for years, usually try and find a sketch of something suitable from that period, not colour photos or images which look too modern. These can be inserted into the person's story to make it look nicer. I usually have a separate page or pages with colour photos of the place (road, church, village etc.) as it looks today (if it's still there). This may even be in a separate section of the file otherwise it interrupts the flow of their story which I like to keep on consecutive pages.

I've searched for British Museum images but can't see the kind of pics I'd like for family history purposes. Can you indicate which collection they're in. I tried 'Prints and Drawings' but they're a bit random and unsuitable.

Default British Museum

Quote Originally Posted by Pamela21 View Post
    Absolutely agree! I have been doing this for years, usually try and find a sketch of something suitable from that period, not colour photos or images which look too modern. These can be inserted into the person's story to make it look nicer. I usually have a separate page or pages with colour photos of the place (road, church, village etc.) as it looks today (if it's still there). This may even be in a separate section of the file otherwise it interrupts the flow of their story which I like to keep on consecutive pages.

I've searched for British Museum images but can't see the kind of pics I'd like for family history purposes. Can you indicate which collection they're in. I tried 'Prints and Drawings' but they're a bit random and unsuitable.
    I have just used the search engine on the database. https://www.britishmuseum.org/researc...ne/search.aspx

I have usually started off with a place, then occupations, then try costumes, or vehicles etc. dont forget to click on the images only box or you will be inundated!!

i have just published one of the family history books on amazon (Thomas Hall of City Road) and included pics from the BM. you have to get permission of course for that sort of thing but it is no big deal.

cheers Ed