franksharp1

Default Em(m)anuel Abrahams & Pauline Krzasny

Emmanuel Abrahams arrived in England from Russia, alone, aged 14. From census records and age at death, he appears to have been born about 1833 so his arrival would have been about say 1847 +/-. Pauline Krzasny was born in Witkowo, Posen/Poznan in what was then probably West Prussia. From documents and her age at death, she was born about 1823. She appears to have arrived in England about mid-1857 or shortly after. In 1861 Census they were living together at 2 Miller's Court. In the 1871 C they were together with their 4 children at 72 Cable Street, St Geo in the East, with family name spelled Abrams (in this record Emmanuel is given as Edmund, Pauline is Helena, son Isaac is written as daughter Jessie, and daughter Laura as a son; the eldest is Fanny. In the 1881 C they are shown at 116 Cable Street with Pauline shown as Selina. The 1891 C shows Emanuel & Paulina (the pronunciation of Pauline in German) with son Isaac, daughter Laura, and g'daughter Esther Grouse at 116 Cable Street. After they moved from Miller's Court, their original address was 31 Cable Street but in 1868 Cable Street was renumbered and 31 became 72. Later they moved to 116 Cable Street. Emanuel died in Jan 1900, aged 67, and Pauline died in Feb 1900, aged 76, both at the latter address. The inscription in English on their joint gravestone reads The English inscription reads "In Loving Memory of EMANUEL and PAULINA ABRAHAMS who Departed this Life Jan 24 1900 aged 67, and Feb 27 1900 aged 76" "Deeply mourned by their sorrowing son, daughters and relatives" "In Death They Were Not Divided" "May their dear souls rest in peace." The Hebrew inscription reads: at the top is the Hebrew word "lezecorone" (as a remembrance). The next line reads, on the right, the words in Hebrew "Morus (mrs) Pesha ayshes (wife of) Menachem Mendel" while on the left "Menachem ben Avraham." Under both of these there is their respective Hebrew dates of burial (26 Jan 1900 for Emanuel and 01 Mar 1900 for Paulina). The next line contains the five letters: Tof, Nun, Tsadik, Bet and Hey (this is on all Jewish tomb stones). [Mendel, the Yiddish nickname for Menachem.]

I have been unable to locate a record of their marriage, which appears would have taken place between say mid-1857 and about 1861 when their first child was born. Can anyone please advise of any synagogues located in the vicinity of Miller's Court in Spitalfields at that time, where the records are located, and willingness to do a Look Up for me, please. Also, I have been unable to find records of their passages from Russia and West Prussia, respectively, to England (I have checked the Hamburg lists without success), and any help with with this would be much appreciated.
    Regards
    Frank

franksharp1

Phillip, thanks for your comments on my search on another Thread. Regarding Emanuel's use of the term father-in-law with respect to Samuel Solomon(s) I have read that relationship-descriptions were not so "legal" as they are today. Perhaps Samuel befriended Emanuel when he first arrived in England and he looked upon him as a father-figure. I have looked at Samuel through the census records and find him with wife Mary in 1851 at 4 Stoney Lane, St Botolph Aldgate. I haven't been able to identify him in 1861 C but in 1871 C he is with wife Polly in Aldgate (I am unable to read the record of names and street name on the doc posted by Ancestry); in 1881 he is at 104 Cable Street (6 doors from Emanuel) with wife Mary and in 1891 C he is still at 104 Cable Street with wife Johna. It seems that both Samuel and Emanuel told enumerators different names for their spouses every decade (I trust I have identified the correct family in each census -- in each case Samuel is involved with cigars). Even with this info I am still at a loss as to the connection, if any, between Samuel and Emanuel.
    Frank

Frank
    I note in the 1851 Census HO 107 1524 36 5 ( Crown Copyright,TNA) that Samuel Solomons was at 4 Stoney Lane with wife and children but also at the same address were numbers of other people including Levy Solomons of Amsterdam and family plus Isaac Abrahams cigar maker and other Solomons. There may or may not be a connection between Emanuel and these Abrahams. In addition, see 1851 Census JewishGen where Petra Laidlaw has provided other data on Samuel including his marriage in 1849. See also Synagogue Scribes records GSMa 087/26 Marriage Samuel Solomons - father Solomon Solomons to Mary Solomons- father's Hebrew name Yehuda Levi. Petra has Samuel at 16 Stoney Lane 1840s.
    You want to cross reference Emanuel's Hebrew name with any similar names on Synagogue Scribes and also Cemetery Scribes- long shots but you may discover more.
    Phillip

Frank and others
    You might want to ask if anyone has access or holds copies of the "Birth Records of the New Synagogue and Marriage Records of the New and Hambro Synagogues ( London, Privately Published 2010) Harold and Miriam Lewin; Marriage Records of the Great Synagogue London 1791-1885 H and M Lewin ( Privately published) 2004. Harold and Miriam Lewin have other publications and are in Jerusalem. See also the Dutch Jewry Website -Ashkenazi marriages; deaths etc - this is an invaluable website because it contains data from original sources. Also, Gen Ami website The Jewish Genealogy Association "Research in the UK " Gaby Laws who with Angela Shires has developed the excellent Cemetery and Synagogue Scribes data bases has provided another very good resource indicator for Anglo Jewish family research- see links to British Jewry Archives and other resources.
    Frank- you might want to post on BJ for a look up on your lines. I also note that Miller's Court was part of Dorset Street which will help you to focus on where Emanuel may have married.
    Phillip

Frank
    Angela Shires from Cemetery and Synagogue Scribes has contacted me regarding the posts on your lines and has suggested that - brother/sister in law etc can refer to step relationships. She has suggested you look at any connections through the wife of Samuel Solomon who could have been the mother of Emmanuel through a previous marriage. Also, Polly and Mary names are interchangeable.
    Phillip