Knowledgeable and helpful

Default inventory of Jonathan Finney nearly there

I have most of it but there are a few words I am struggling with (what is a Bood?)
    this is what I have so far and the inventory is below

A true and perfect inventory of all the goods cattels and chattels of Jonathan Finney of Wootton in the parish of Ellaston and county of Stafford. Husbandman lately died taken and apprised the seventeenth day of September Anno Domini 1734 by us whose names are under written

First of all his purs[e] and apparrill ---------- 0:15:0 (L:S:d)
    Then the goods in the house place, a table, a cubbord, four chairs, three littell palor (pale) dishes, a long chair, two bowkes (books), two pauns (pans), a churn, a chees tub. ------------------------------------------ 1:1:6
    Then the goods in the great parlor and Bood (bed?) with all things belonging to it. One chest, two boxes, a littell table ---------- 1:5:5
    Then the goods in the littell parlor. One bood with all things belonging to it, one coaver, two iron potts and one iron kettell ---- 1:1:6
    Then the goods in the chamber over the Great parlor all the cheese and cheese shelves ------------------------------------------------ 5:15:0
    Then the goods in the chamber over the house place one littell table, one coaver and a littell box and hamper --------------------- 0:3:10
    Then the goods in the chamber over the littell parlor one pair of bood slids and all things belonging to it and one swine kinmoll (?)---0:14:8
    Then two mares, two goates, a yearling coult --- 10:5:0
    Then eight cowes, one heifor (heifer), three slirks(?), five caued (?) – 29:10:0
    Then twenty six sheep --------------------------------8:5:0
    Then the goods in the barne and field as to hay and corne – 11:0:0
    Then one cart and all other husbandry ware -----------------2:15:0
    Then all other lumber goods seen and unseen -------------0:10:0

John Oakes appreisor
    Sum totalled ---------------------------------------------£74:4:6
    Thomas Sherard(?)

Loves to help with queries

I think line 8 is three little pewter (puter) dishes. A bowk is a bucket, a wooden pail with a handle. If there are books they usually have their own line and more description, I have found. At the beginning of each line it says Item, not then. The word you think is bood must be bed from context. The first example looks to me as though the second letter is an e but the third I can't make out, maybe bead? but must be bed as you say. I think your "coaver" is a coffer, spelled ?coafor.
    Beed slids, should be bed, so perhaps elsewhere he spells bed as beed, but slids I don't know. Truckle beds are very common, that you can take apart, maybe a sort of truckle bed? All I have for slids is something to roll heavy things on. Or could it be slats? A kinmell is a tub used for brewing etc or making bacon and it does say a swine kinmel. The word after heifer is stirks, young bullock or heifer, so I think the last word is calves spelled without the l. I'm not sure about Thomas's surname. I hope you don't mind if I say it's easier to compare things if you put numbers for the lines, but I know not everyone does. I use Stuart A. Raymond Words from Wills and other Probate records which I find very useful. You've done a good job of transcribing, best wishes, cicilysmith

Just realised it's beed stids, of course, bedsteads, cs

Jan1954

Quote Originally Posted by cicilysmith View Post
    I use Stuart A. Raymond Words from Wills and other Probate records which I find very useful.
    You've done a good job of transcribing
    Excellent job.

Think I might be ordering that Raymond book.
    I have some 16th & 17th century indentures in Gothic script. Nightmare!!

Thanks for all your help by the way very much appreciated!

Colin Moretti

"Bood", (various places), definitely "Beed"

two bowkes (books), two pauns (pans), a churn
    I think that the second item should be
    ... two Gauns ...
    ?Gowns (eg cf the G and p in "Great parlour", 2 lines below, P as in "Pig" and G in "the Goods", several lines)

Colin

"A gawn is a gallon, or a ladle or pail holding half a gallon" says Stuart.

Colin Moretti

"A gawn is a gallon, or a ladle or pail holding half a gallon" says Stuart.
    I thought that "gown" was a bit odd here!

Colin