Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast
    blueyeshorlicks

Quote Originally Posted by helachau View Post
    Bath Chronicle and Weekly Gazette, Thur, 3 Sep 1879
    Married - G. Humphrys, Esq; of Serjeant's-inn, to Miss Jane Jeremiah of Dulwich
    Wow, this is interesting Bath Chronicle......My father Roger Humphrys this George's 3 greats grandson lived in Bath. I presume this was during the time people went to Bath to mix with the 'right' people when 'taking the waters'!

blueyeshorlicks

This lack of his parents makes me wonder whether the family 'myth' of this 'George' coming from County Cavan Ireland? Are there passenger lists during this time ( 10 years before?) between England and Ireland?

blueyeshorlicks

Quote Originally Posted by 3DJay View Post
    Here are the dates for George Jr and Josiah's sisters, in case you don't have access to the info.

Jane Humphrys Baptism 8 Oct 1790 St Bride's, Fleet Street, London George Humphrys, Jane Humphrys

Frances Humphrys Baptism 21 Oct 1791 St Bride's, Fleet Street, London George Humphrys, Jane Humphrys

Elizabeth Humphrys Baptism 19 Oct 1794 St Bride's, Fleet Street, London George Humphrys, Jane Humphrys
    That's great I can put their details in my 'tree'.

blueyeshorlicks

Quote Originally Posted by 3DJay View Post
    I have to say, that Jeremiah surname, for Jane, is the most terrible thing I have ever run across. Absolutely the worst surname I've ever tried to search. Most of the results, on Ancestry, are middle or given names poorly transcribed as surnames, or parish records that just spit out every use of the name Jeremiah. Family Search gave a number of results for the London area, with question marks as given names. And, trying to search with Google, is basically impossible, with so many people having Jeremiah as a first or middle name. Pretty much all of the valid results, for the surname Jeremiah, come from Wales.
    Yes I've had the same problem!! It says she's from Dulwich in the Bath Chronicle notice, so perhaps I'll search in parish records there. My mum has this idea, that like Mary Rothman her daughter-in-law, she was Jewish???

Jan1954

Quote Originally Posted by blueyeshorlicks View Post
    This lack of his parents makes me wonder whether the family 'myth' of this 'George' coming from County Cavan Ireland? Are there passenger lists during this time ( 10 years before?) between England and Ireland?
    These journeys were - and still are - considered to be domestic and so it is most unlikely that any passenger lists will exist.

3DJay

Jewish is a possibility. I did run across a death record for an infant named Jerusalem Jeremiah, 21 Jul 1784, that was transcribed properly. No mention of parents. Died in a workhouse in St James, Clerkenwell area.

Yes, the marriage record says she's from Dulwich too. It also says she's 21, or more, to give you an idea of when to start looking.

blueyeshorlicks

Quote Originally Posted by Jan1954 View Post
    These journeys were - and still are - considered to be domestic and so it is most unlikely that any passenger lists will exist.
    Of course....but how does one trace people who've moved from Ireland to England?

blueyeshorlicks

Thank you everyone for helping me on this thread!!!!

blueyeshorlicks

Default Still looking a year later!

I still haven't found (almost a year later) the birth of George Humphrys 1768/abt 1834 and of his wife Jane Jeremiah 1768/1820!
    I know 'he's of the Serjeant's Inn, London, indicating he was a fairly prominent barrister' and I've tried that route, but Serjeant's Inn moved and lost status, so records don't seem to exist. I think the only answer, is to visit St. Brides where they were married and obviously spend a day at the National archives.

ghbarnes

These are almost certainly my 6th great grandparents. On my mother's side the surname was spelled 'Humphreys' - but my mum always thought there was some Jewish ancestry somewhere. The George Humphreys I had found was born in about 1801 (son of George and Jane) in Clerkenwell and his son was my 3rd great grandfather - John born in 1832. I hadn't been able to find out who his mother was until now, so thank you. I have also always wondered where the surname had originally come from - my mum thought probably Wales, but Irish is also a possibility.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast