Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
    blueyeshorlicks

Default Secretive Clerkenwell Humphrys

My Great Great grandfather was George Josiah Humphrys born 1826. He was in the newly organised Westminster Police and became a Chief inspector. I have lots of info about him and family, but his father was also George Humphrys who was married to Mary Rothman. I have his Birth document, but I can't find them on a census. He was born 1800? Baynes Row, London. I have info. about who I think his father was? Another George Humphrys mentioned in a 1821 House of Common's paper, living at Red Lion Square.

And in the 1830 Royal Kalendar on Court of Chancery, page 224 Where it says: Dispensation Office 'Church-yard-court, Temple Clerk, *George Humphrys, jun. and Josiah Humphrys, esqrs. (in a new sentence) Deputy. George Humphrys, esq.'

This indicates two George's, father and son, but why would Police inspector George Josiah Humphrys have his brother's name,( if this *George jun.? Is the person who went on to become a policeman?? All very confusing.

Lizzy9

1851, St George Hanover Square, HO107; Piece: 1478; Folio: 541; Page: 22

George Humphries 47, Messenger Chancellor of Exchequer, Chute Wilts
    Harriet Humphries 34, Burmington Gloucestershire
    William G Humphries 4, St George Hanover Square
    Caroline Kintoul 34, visitor

Lizzy9

Sorry, I meant to say 'Could Mary Rothman have died and George remarried?'

However on reflection I don't think it's him.

Lizzy9

Baptisms, is William Henry, George Josiah's brother? A different occupation for father!

Jane Mary, 25 Dec 1825, Clerkenwell St James, dau of George (Clerk) and Mary, abode Vineyard Walk
    George Josiah, 25 Jun 1826, Clerkenwell St James, son of George (Clerk) and Mary, abode Baynes Row
    Mary Ann, 6 Jul 1828, Clerkenwell St James, abode St John St, dau of George (Clerk) and Mary Ann
    William Henry 22 Nov 1829, Clerkenwell St James, son of George (Attorney) and Mary, abode St John St

Lizzy9

1841, Wood St, St James Clerkenwell. HO107; Piece: 659; Book: 10, Folio: 11; Page: 14. All born Middlesex.

George Humphrey 41, Clerk
    George Humphrey 15
    Mary Humphrey 35
    Jane Humphrey 15
    Mary Ann Humphrey 13
    William Humphrey 11
    John Humphrey 9
    Charles Humphrey 7

Lizzy9

1851, 5, Northampton St, Islington, all born Clerkenwell.
    HO107; Piece: 1502; Folio: 478; Page: 22

George Humpherys 50, widower, Attorney
    Mary A Humphrey 23, Dressmaker
    William H Humphreys 21, Barrister's Clerk
    John Humphreys 19
    Charles Humphreys 16

Lizzy9

Quote Originally Posted by blueyeshorlicks View Post
    And in the 1830 Royal Kalendar on Court of Chancery, page 224 Where it says: Dispensation Office 'Church-yard-court, Temple Clerk, *George Humphrys, jun. and Josiah Humphrys, esqrs. (in a new sentence) Deputy. George Humphrys, esq.'

This indicates two George's, father and son, but why would Police inspector George Josiah Humphrys have his brother's name,( if this *George jun.? Is the person who went on to become a policeman?? All very confusing.
    Are you confusing two generations? Does not the quote above in blue refer to George Josiah's father, uncle and grandfather?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

There's a George Humphreys baptised 11 May 1800, and a Josiah 22 Aug 1802, both St James Clerkenwell, parents:George and Jane

Lizzy9

1841, Leatherstone Buildings, St Andrew Holborn (Above The Bars)
    HO107; Piece: 670; Book: 7, Folio: 49; Page: 9

Josiah Humphress 35, Solicitor
    Margaret Humphress 35
    Harriet James 19, F.S.
    Mary Smith 34, Governess
    Sydney Smith 5,

Morning Chronicle, Mon 22 Oct 1820
    Died - On Thursday last, Mrs Humphrys, wife of George Humphrys, Red Lion Square, Bloomsbury

3DJay

I would agree, that the George Jr. mentioned, would be the one born 1800, father of George Josiah, not George Josiah himself. There are a George & Jane having sons George (11 May 1800, St James, Clerkenwell, Middlesex) and Josiah (22 Aug 1802, St James, Clerkenwell, Middlesex). There's a George Humphrys and Jane Jeremiah marrying at nearby St Bride Fleet Street, 25 Aug 1789, and baptizing 3 daughters (Janes, Frances, and Elizabeth) there, before the boys were born.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast