Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Debbie Scott

Last night I rang my Dad's half sister my aunt Joan and had a long chat with her about family stuff at the end I said I am researching my Dad's family tree.... before I could add another word she said "I don't believe in family trees, I believe in the now and the future" and with that she slammed the phone down. I spoke to my mum after because I was really shocked by my aunts behaviour and my mum said my aunt did exactly the same thing when my dad asked her and on another occasion when my mum asked her. She is the only living person who knows who my Dad's father is but refuses to give up this info. All I can imagine is that she is hiding some awful family secret which will die with her.

Starting to feel at home

I guess many of us have experienced similarly. Remember most problems have solutions but those that don't are facts of life which have to be lived with. Difficult I know but I have spent & wasted much time in unsuccessfully trying to establish something similar.
    In yours and your mother's case it's the aunt's reluctance to be forthcoming. There may or may not be a solid reason why this is so, but I suggest you don't proceed down this path or 3 people will remain permanently upset.

As for Mr Ball what era are we talking about? Taking your gran's young age at the time of your father's birth should give a minimum birth year for Mr Ball. I'm just trying to work out his service years. You said you have a photo of him on board. Is he in naval uniform? Is his hatband or badges visible? Was your father named after anybody in particular that you know of?
    Whatever else the sun is shining brightly in Portsmouth today.
    Ray

Debbie Scott

Is there anywhere in here I can post it for you to see? My mum said she thinks he might have been in the marines because of being a member of the band playing Sax. In the photo it's hard to tell if he is on a dock or ship he is with several other men I guess workmates he is sitting on the floor in front with trousers and a vest top on and the others look like they have overalls on. Theres land in the background but I don't know if it's here or abroad it's so little to go on. Apparently he wanted to marry my dad's mum but she wouldn't marry him and from all accounts was a bit of a good time gal. She had two other children out of wedlock her 2nd son John was also raised by his Gran when she was pregnant with the 3rd Joan his gran refused to bring up yet another of her children and insisted that she married the Father who was Bill Goring. Obviously he is no relation to us so that's a dead end as well. I think my dad was named after Frank Albert Wilson, Gb and Charlottes son.
    I really appreciate all your help and advice.
    The sun is shining here in Dorset today but it is still really cold out there though
    Debbie

Jan1954

Quote Originally Posted by Debbie Scott View Post
    Is there anywhere in here I can post it for you to see?
    Follow the instructions here.

Debbie Scott

Default Photos if I have done it right lol

My Dad in pram with his Gran pushing him

my dad's birth father at the very front sitting down

Portrait of GB Wilson which my mum donated to Portsmouth museum
    Last edited by Debbie Scott; 30-03-2013 at 10:18 AM. Reason: forgot to title photos

Starting to feel at home

The gent on the right in uniform looks like a Royal Marine. I guess we are talking about 1930 perhaps. His belt looks as though it's of a material type. Was that part of the khaki walking out uniform of a Royal Marine? The collar looks like a choker rather than that of open neck battledress of a soldier.
    The front 3 appear to be wearing similar trousers with the second gent wearing braces so I doubt if they were sailors' trousers. The next 2 are in fatigues/overalls (or whatever the RN term is!). An ex Marine friend tells me that they served as gunners on board amongst other duties.
    It looks though it was taken from an elevated position (flight deck?) inside harbour, perhaps on a capital ship that the Royal Marines band was normally based on. I would love to say it was pre-war Pompey with the isle of Wight in the background but it's not clear enough.

Debbie Scott

Hi Raymond sorry I didn't get a chance to reply to your PM but thank you for all the info. I have looked again at the photo since your comment on here and I now can also see the uniform that I thought were overalls. I'm not sure if there is another ship in the water to the right of the guys. I will have to see if there is anyway of making it bigger or enhancing it a bit, the Police do it so it must be possible to do. I will ask a friend of mine who is a keen photographer. Looking at it again I think it does look like a flight deck you can see lines in what appear to be metal sheets? It is so little to go I don't think we will ever find out whomy Dad's father was which is such a shame. My dear dad passed away 4 yrs ago without ever knowing I really wish I could find a way too solve this mystery in his memory x

Starting to feel at home

Default Possible Royal Marines Bandsman Ball?

Hi Debbie, when you are meeting your mother in Portsmouth one day it wouldn't do any harm visiting the Royal Marines Museum at Eastney. Really helpful people.
    Tell them you are trying to track a bandsman named Ball around 1930 (?) and are there any bands' records available? Although he played saxophone he possibly was also a clarinetist as their fingering is very similar. He might have played clarinet in the band and saxophone in the orchestra (or vice versa) but any ex Royal Marine bandsman reading this will put me right.
    Ray

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12