CaroleMason

Default Note in baptismal transcription

I am looking at the record of the baptism of James Purkis, baptised 8 August 1830, in Ashdon, Essex. The notes field has "D-P 18-1-12". Can anyone tell me what that means?
    Carole

MarkJ

Could it be D-B i.e date of birth? It would seem to fit if the person was born in 1812 and baptised in 1830 perhaps just before a marriage which may well have required him to be baptised before the vicar would consider marrying him.

CaroleMason

Goodness - that was a quick response! But I'm afraid it can't be correct, as the register also notes that he was born on 13 April 1830. Now that I've looked at the records for his siblings, I see that they have the same entry in the note field. I wonder if it could be the transcriber's initials?? and date of transcription??

MarkJ

May be the transcriber as you say. Have you seen the actual register (or an image of it) or just a transcription?
    When I transcribe, I only put things written in the original entry within the Notes section of my transcription. My name is added in a seperate column along with notes I might make such as "Poor Image" or "Date illegible" etc.
    Worth seeing if you can source the images of the register and see if that has the same comments. But if several entries have the same details in the field, then your suggestion about transcriber and date is most likely the case.

pattenwalsh

The original has not got this note so I guess that the previous post by Carole is correct

Findem

Hi all,

The numbers are the Essex Records Office reference numbers for the Microfiched Parish Registers of All Saints, Ashdon, Essex, the same numbers are used for the digitised PRs on the ERO's SEAX online Essex Ancestors. The number appear on the site as D/P 18/1/12 and refers specifically to All Saints Baptisms 1813 - 1839, for All Saints the numbers range from D/P 18/1/1 to D/P 18/1/29.

The PRs can be viewed for a quite modest subscription, the subs range from 1 day 5 UK pounds to 1 year 75 UK pounds

https://
    secureweb1.essexcc.gov.uk/seaxpam2012/EssexAncestors.aspx

I'm glad you posted that query because it appears that the ERO have now added transcripts of Monumental Inscriptions, baptisms, marriages and burials to the PRs online, hopefully they have done the same for other Essex parishes, I'll check.

Regards