Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Slmyers

Default Birth of Richard Hoyle 1823 in Newchurch

Surname of the person or family to which the enquiry relates:

First name(s) of principal person: Richard HOYLE

Place of Birth or Abode (town and County): Cowpe, Whalley, Newchurch, Lancashire

Date of birth, approximate 1823

I am looking for further confirmation on the parents of Richard Hoyle stated above. He was married to Betty Howorth (if my certificate is correct) - May 22 1844. I have the marriage certificate which I hold indicates his father was Robert Hoyle and Betty's (Elizabeth) was George Howorth.

Richard and Betty had the following children: Joseph (born 1844), George (b 1847) Mary Alice (b 1853), Richard (b 1857) and btb John born and deceased Feb 1858), Elizabeth Anne (b 1862), Louisa (b 1863/1864 -deceased 1878, (Hannah (may be relative's child? 1867 buried 1887) and Clara born in 1868.

Richard died 5th May 1897 and is buried alongside Betty (who died in Q1 of 1879 and buried 17 Feb 1879) and Louisa (buried 26 August 1878) in St. Michaels in Lumb - Plot 605..

My Census records indicate that in 1851 he was 27 living in Walls with Betty and his children, Joseph, George and Mary Alice.

1861 he was 38 and living in Whitewall Bottom. Newchurch with two further children Ann and Richard.

In 1871, I have him as a Block Printer, living in Scout Bottom aged 46 of Newchurch, Lancs.with his children George, Mary A. Anna, Richard, Elizabeth A., Louise, Clara.

In 1881, he was living in Burnley Road, Newchurch aged 58 with further children Elizabeth and "H" (btb Hannah). ("H" may have been the child of a relative as she is buried in the same plot as the first wife of 2nd son George.)The eldest three had left home.

In 1891, aged 68, living on his own at 2 Burnley Road and a Widower and retired Woolen Printer born of Cowpe in Newchurch.

I do have a Census record for 1841 at the Queens Arms in Lower Booths but am not one hundred per cent certain this is my Richard due to age rounding which occurred that year.

The name Robert is an anomoly in our family tree and thus my query and I am unable to locate anything other than the marriage certificate which provides Robert's name. (I have long been told that he married Betty Howorth and that her name was spelled different from the spelling of my great grandmother's spelling of her maiden H a w o r t h). I hope to be able to locate the correct Birth Entry for my Richard,

I know the family became non conformists with both Methodist and Baptist ties.

If anyone is able to assist with verifying Robert with further evidence, I would be most grateful.

Thanking you.
    Sue

birdlip

Hi Sue,

this looks like his baptism, from the Non Conformist Record Indexes [ RG4-8]

Richard HOYLE 06 Jul 1823, Whalley, Lancs. Parents Robert HOYLE and Alice

birdlip

There are six other children that I can find born to this couple, all on family Search starting with

William Uttley HOYLE born 04 May 1806, bap 06 April 1806 Mill End Wesleyan, Newchurch in Rossendale, Lancs.

birdlip

...and this looks like the marriage;

Robert HOYLE/ Alice UTTLEY 01 Jan 1805 Newchurch -in-Rossendale Lancs [M00561-1]

birdlip

The Lancashire Online Parish Clerks site has details of the marriage, it was at St Nicholas, Newchurch in Rossendale:

Robert was 'of the parish of Bury' and Alice was 'of this Chapelry'.
    Both signed with a 'X'
    They were married by banns by Thos Bebanks, minister.
    Witnesses were Wm Lord and George Spencer....Wm Lord seems to appear on all the marriage records though, so can probably be discounted as a relative.

Slmyers

Oh my gosh - Thank you Birdlip! Investigating this...and it's looking good! thank you so much for your help You're the best !!

Slmyers

Talking

Birdlip, can I ask where you are accessing the non conformist record indexes from ... I know The Genealogist.co.uk offers them but can you access them direct from the Archives also? Thanking you.
    Last edited by Slmyers; 12-03-2013 at 2:28 AM. Reason: typo

birdlip

Hi Sue, pleased I could help. Non conformist record indexes are also on Family Search.

Slmyers

Hi Birdlip,

I wonder if I can ask for your help again with regard Richard Hoyle. I purchased credits in order to check the details of each member and have gone through them rather quickly before checking them all. I'm not sure if I am approaching this the right way. My thought was that the RG4/1772 references with father as Robert Hoyle would be the relevant ones but I am not sure if this is correct. You stated there were 6 other children - I have William Uttley/Ottley, Joseph, John, Robert, Elizabeth Ann and of course Richard. Did you find one more that I am missing and am I doing this correctly? This is my first time with the non conformist records search. Thanks so much again. Sue
    Last edited by Slmyers; 21-03-2013 at 9:15 AM. Reason: typo

birdlip

Quote Originally Posted by Slmyers View Post
    Hi Birdlip,

I wonder if I can ask for your help again with regard Richard Hoyle. I purchased credits in order to check the details of each member and have gone through them rather quickly before checking them all. I'm not sure if I am approaching this the right way. My thought was that the RG4/1772 references with father as Robert Hoyle would be the relevant ones but I am not sure if this is correct. You stated there were 6 other children - I have William Uttley/Ottley, Joseph, John, Robert, Elizabeth Ann and of course Richard. Did you find one more that I am missing and am I doing this correctly? This is my first time with the non conformist records search. Thanks so much again. Sue
    Hi Sue,
    there is also James bap 24 Jan 1813 Wesleyan, Bacup, Lancs [RG4 1158], the same chapel as Elizabeth Ann.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast